Skip to content





Submit a certificate of compliance of water installation on transfer of ownership<h2 class="sectHeading">Why is a COC important?</h2><p>The COC checklist was introduced to ensure the water installation complies with the relevant City <a href="">water by-laws</a> and National Building Regulations and Building Standards Act, 1977(Act 103 of 1977). The certificate cannot be used as a quality control document for anything other than what is listed on the checkboxes. </p><h4>The document certifies that:<br></h4><ul><li>there are no water installation defects relevant to the checklist tick boxes at the time the COC was issued; </li><li>the water meter is registering water consumption; </li><li>there are no stormwater discharges into the sewer system; </li><li>there are no cross-connections between drinking water and any greywater, recycled water or ground-water systems; and</li><li>the water installation (relevant to the checklist tick boxes of the COC issued) conforms to the national building regulations and City water by-laws.</li></ul> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">How to submit </h2> <p>Before the property is transferred, the seller should approach a <a href="">qualified, registered​​ plumber​</a> to conduct the inspection and complete the COC as follows:<br></p> <p> <strong>Step 1: </strong>Download the Water Installation on Transfer of Ownership Certificate of Compliance Form from the document downloads section below. </p> <p> <strong>Step 2:</strong> Complete the inspection, perform any remedial work and then sign the COC. <br></p> <p> <strong>Step 3: </strong>The fully completed Certificate of Compliance must then be submitted by the conveyancing attorney via email to <em> </em> <em><a href=""></a></em>. </p> <p>A City of Cape Town water inspector will conduct an inspection to ensure compliance at selected properties. The City will take up any issues of non-compliance directly with the plumber.</p> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">Contact us</h2></span><span> <h4>City Call Centre</h4> <p> <em>Telephone: <br><a>0860 103 089</a> </em></p> <h4>Water and Sanitation Directorate<br></h4> <p> Email: <br> <a title="title" href=""><em></em></a></p> </span></span>GP0|#aae9bde9-1c89-4895-a898-fcd0453f81ec;L0|#0aae9bde9-1c89-4895-a898-fcd0453f81ec|Water and sanitation;GTSet|#a7cfb90d-44ad-4426-98ce-565f79932396;GPP|#6c293e71-0db4-42d2-a348-6d21e8d13030;GPP|#54dbab3a-0b2f-4602-8af5-3d651c59a5f4If you need a certificate of compliance for water installation, you can do so by submitting an application to the City.0



Certificate of Compliance of Water Installation on Transfer of Ownership126555GP0|#aee51318-6034-483d-992c-02e7b211df9a;L0|#0aee51318-6034-483d-992c-02e7b211df9a|Form;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f82;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2023-05-10T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.