Skip to content





Qualifying residents encouraged to apply for R4,7bn assistance<p>​<br></p><p>Residents are encouraged to find an upcoming event happening near them or visit their nearest municipal walk-in centre and complete an application form to see if they are eligible for the available benefits. Residents may also contact their ward councillor or subcouncil office to apply.</p><p> </p><p><strong>Upcoming events are as follows:</strong></p><ul><li><strong>13 October 2022:</strong> Woodlands Community Hall, Mitchells Plain </li><li><strong>20 October 2022: </strong>Hillcrest Community Hall, Blue Downs Way</li></ul><p> </p><p>The cost of the City's social package for the 2022/23 financial year amounts to R4,7 billion, and includes R2,3 billion for indigent relief and R1,45 billion for rates relief. Those who have qualified for indigent benefits in the past must remember that they need to apply yearly for the benefit, except pensioners who may apply to renew their benefit every three years. </p><p> </p><p>'Residents are encouraged to visit an event and speak to an official to find out whether they qualify. Assistance is available and residents are encouraged to approach us for help. Several events have been held since the start of the campaign drive and many residents have already benefited by qualifying for indigent support or a rates rebate, or entering into a payment arrangement to pay off their debts. We would like to be certain that as many qualifying residents as possible successfully apply for the financial relief that is available. We are providing beneficiaries with assistance by taking them through the registration process, assisting with the forms and required documentation, and capturing information accurately. We are ready to help,' said the City's Mayoral Committee Member for Finance, Councillor Siseko Mbandezi.</p><p> </p><p><strong>Residents may qualify for indigent support if they:</strong></p><p>•          are a homeowner</p><p>•          earn R7 500 or less per month</p><p>•          own only one property</p><p>•          are the full-time occupant of the home</p><p>•          use the home mainly for residential purposes</p><p>•          are a child who lives in the home of a parent who has passed away</p><p>•          received the house in a divorce settlement</p><p>•          depend on a pension or a social grant for their livelihood</p><p> </p><p><strong>Applicants will need:</strong></p><p>•          proof of identification (ID book/card or passport)</p><p>•          a bank statement for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that they do not have a bank account</p><p>•          a bond statement for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that they do not have a bond account</p><p>•          a copy of the estate documents if the applicant has inherited his or her house</p><p> </p><p><strong>If residents are employed, they must also include:</strong></p><p>•          latest salary/wage pay slip or a letter from an employer stating their income</p><p>•          a sworn affidavit if they are self-employed stating how much is earned per month</p><p>•          proof if a disability grant, maintenance grant or pension is received</p><p> </p><p><strong>If residents are unemployed, they must include the following in the application:</strong></p><p>•          a sworn affidavit stating that they are unemployed</p><p>•          a sworn affidavit stating that they have no other source of income</p><p> </p><p><strong>Useful contacts and information:</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>For rates or services relief</strong></p><p>•          Visit: <a href="" target="_blank"></a> or a City customer office.</p><p>•          Email: <a href="" target="_blank"></a>  </p><p> </p><p><strong>Pensioner rates relief</strong></p><p>•          Pensioners 60 years or older and people who receive social grants earning no more than R17 500 may qualify for a rates rebate of between 10% and 100%. They are invited to go  to the nearest City customer care office or send an email to <a href="" target="_blank"></a> </p><p>•          For more information on how to apply for pensioner support: <a href="" target="_blank"></a>  </p><p> </p><p><strong>For payment arrangements</strong></p><p>•          Visit: <a href="" target="_blank"></a> </p><p>•          Email: <a href="" target="_blank"></a> </p><p> </p><p><strong>For a list of the City's Cash Offices and Walk-in Centres, please visit:</strong> <a href="" target="_blank"></a> </p><p> </p><p> <br></p><p><strong>End</strong></p><p><br></p>2022-10-06T22:00:00ZGP0|#1d539e44-7c8c-4646-887d-386dc1d95d70;L0|#01d539e44-7c8c-4646-887d-386dc1d95d70|City news;GTSet|#62efe227-07aa-45e7-944c-ceebacca891dGP0|#e2c4d983-bbfc-4d41-ae56-89aacd57eb6e;L0|#0e2c4d983-bbfc-4d41-ae56-89aacd57eb6e|walk-in centre;GTSet|#2e3de6c1-9951-4747-8f53-470629a399bb;GP0|#49db3c1e-03c7-4f05-aee5-458b2f3e71fe;L0|#049db3c1e-03c7-4f05-aee5-458b2f3e71fe|payment agreement;GP0|#6960a0f6-8375-4087-89f6-443dc57633ce;L0|#06960a0f6-8375-4087-89f6-443dc57633ce|municipal account10

You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.