Skip to content





How to apply for indigent support <p>​</p><p>Currently in the 2022/23 financial year, some R3,75 billion is available in rates and indigent relief, while R4,3 bn is earmarked for the next financial year starting in July 2024.  </p><p><strong>See if you qualify</strong></p><p><strong>Approach your nearest municipal customer office</strong></p><p><strong>Contact your ward councillor</strong></p><p><strong>Visit your subcouncil office </strong></p><p><strong>Email: </strong><a href="" target="_blank"></a></p><p><strong>Visit </strong><a href="" target="_blank"><strong></strong></a><br> <br><br>'Help is available and our staff at the various customer offices in the metro are able to assist residents with more information as well as the quick and easy application process. As a caring City, we are doing all we can to assist the most vulnerable and we urge residents to inform their loved ones about the available assistance,' said the City's Mayoral Committee Member for Finance, Councillor Siseko Mbandezi.<br><br><br><strong>Remember: </strong><br><br><strong> </strong>If your total household income is R7 500 or less per month, you could get discount on certain services that the City supplies (indigent support).</p><p>Discount on rates and services for persons of any age earning<strong> </strong>R7 500 or less will receive a 100% discount on property rates, refuse removal charges and 15kl water for free.</p><p><strong>You can apply for indigent support if you:</strong></p><ul><li>are a homeowner</li><li>earn R7 500 or less per month</li><li>own only one property</li><li>are the full-time occupant of the home</li><li>use your home mainly for residential purposes (60% of the size of the house or property)</li><li>are a child who lives in the home of a parent who has passed away, or</li><li>received the house in a divorce settlement</li></ul><p><strong>Please note:</strong></p><p>If you owe the municipality money you may qualify for a once-off 100% write off (cancellation) of this debt. This only applies if you have a prepaid electricity meter.<br> As part of the indigent benefits, these devices will be installed at your property for free.</p><p>If no prepaid electricity meter has been installed, please give consent for the installation of these meters with your application where applicable.</p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>How do I apply?</strong><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>Step 1:</strong></p><p>Download the Application for Indigent Support form on our website, send an email to <a href="" target="_blank"></a> or collect one from your nearest municipal office.</p><p>You will need to include the following with your application:</p><ol><li>proof of identification (ID book/card)</li><li>bank statements from ALL financial institutions for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that you do not have a bank account</li><li>a bond statement for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that you do not have a bond account if you have inherited the house, a copy of the estate documents</li></ol><p><strong>If you are employed, please also include the following in your application:</strong></p><ul><li>latest salary/wage payslip or a letter from an employer stating your income</li><li>If you are self-employed, a sworn affidavit stating how much you earn per month</li><li>proof if you receive a disability grant, maintenance grant or pension</li><li>completed debit order application form where applicable.</li></ul><p><strong>If you are unemployed, please also include the following in your application:</strong></p><p><strong>A sworn affidavit stating:</strong></p><ul><li>that you are unemployed and </li><li>that you have no other source of income</li></ul><p><strong>Step 2:</strong></p><p>Once you have completed the form, hand it in at any municipal Revenue walk in office or post the documents to:</p><p>Director Revenue, City of Cape Town,<br> PO Box 655, Cape Town 8000</p><ul><li>If you are posting your form, remember to include a certified copy of your ID or other proof of identification.</li><li>Emailed application forms and documents can also be sent to the following relevant email addresses:</li><ul><li><a href="" target="_blank"></a></li><li><a href="" target="_blank"></a></li><li><a href="" target="_blank"></a><br><br>Once you have registered as indigent you will need to re-apply every 12 months from date of approval. However, if you are 60 years or older, your application will remain valid until the next municipal valuation of your property, which is expected to be valid until 30 June 2026 or until a Supplementary Valuation is implemented. Before you re-apply, you must pay off any money that you owe to the municipality.<br> <br><br><strong>Renewal of indigent benefits for beneficiaries of 60 years and older</strong><br><br>It must be noted that the beneficiaries 60 years of age or older who would like to <strong>re-apply</strong> for the benefits do not have to visit the contact centres. A renewal SMS will be sent to the applicant from the Consumer Profile Bureau with a link to complete a declaration form via cell phone. The beneficiary must confirm their financial status and upload photographs of their original required documents, should they still earn R7 500 and less.</li></ul></ul><p><strong>How do rates rebates (discounts) work for property owners who are dependent on pensions or social grants for their livelihood?</strong></p><ul><li>Pensioners 60 years or older and persons who receive social grants earning R7 500 or less may qualify for a 100% rates rebate. Pensioners 60 years or older and persons who receive social grants earning more than R7 501 but not more than R22 000 may qualify for a rates rebate of between 10% and 95%<br><br>The City recommends that these residents who are dependent on pensions or social grants and earning R7500 or less,<strong> </strong>apply for indigent support instead, so that they qualify for the additional benefits. In the Rates Rebate category, the beneficiary will only receive a 100% rates rebate whereas with the Indigent Support benefit, the beneficiary receives a <span style="text-decoration-line:underline;">100% discount on property rates, 100% discount on refuse removal charges and 15kl water for free."</span></li></ul><p></p><p><strong>End</strong></p><p><br></p>2023-06-14T22:00:00ZGP0|#1d539e44-7c8c-4646-887d-386dc1d95d70;L0|#01d539e44-7c8c-4646-887d-386dc1d95d70|City news;GTSet|#62efe227-07aa-45e7-944c-ceebacca891dGP0|#cf492c62-a733-46a8-b415-e4d2fe27c129;L0|#0cf492c62-a733-46a8-b415-e4d2fe27c129|Indigend households;GTSet|#2e3de6c1-9951-4747-8f53-470629a399bb10

You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.