Skip to content





Help is available - City urges residents to apply for R4,7bn assistance<p>​</p><p>Help is available and residents are encouraged to attend an upcoming event in their area to see if they are eligible for assistance. Residents may also visit their nearest City Walk-in Centre, speak to their local ward councillor, or sub council office to find out more about assistance and relief.</p><p> </p><p><strong>Upcoming events are as follows:</strong></p><ul><li><strong>20 October 2022: </strong>Hillcrest Community Hall, Blue Downs Way</li></ul><p> <br></p><p>'We are encouraging residents to attend an upcoming event in their area and to complete an application form to see if they qualify for the available assistance. </p><p> </p><p>'Through this drive alone, we have assisted residents in several areas and we will continue to help residents across the metro in the coming weeks. We have identified areas in all regions where residents are in need of assistance and we encourage those who are interested to please attend an event and apply. The City will prioritise areas where indigent support is needed the most.</p><p> </p><p>'The City's social package for the 2022/23 financial year amounts to R4,7 billion, and includes R2,3 billion for indigent relief and R1,45 billion for rates relief. Those who have qualified for indigent benefits in the past must remember that they need to apply yearly for the benefit, except pensioners who may apply to renew their benefit every three years. </p><p> </p><p>'We are here to help and this campaign drive will ensure that we reach residents directly to assist those most in need. Our officials are ready to help with all registration processes, assisting with the forms and required documentation, and capturing information accurately, said the City's Mayoral Committee Member for Finance, Councillor Siseko Mbandezi. </p><p><span style="text-decoration:line-through;"> </span></p><p><strong>Residents may qualify for indigent support if they:</strong></p><p>•          are a homeowner</p><p>•          earn R7 500 or less per month</p><p>•          own only one property</p><p>•          are the full-time occupant of the home</p><p>•          use the home mainly for residential purposes</p><p>•          are a child who lives in the home of a parent who has passed away</p><p>•          received the house in a divorce settlement</p><p>•          depend on a pension or a social grant for their livelihood</p><p> </p><p><strong>Applicants will need:</strong></p><p>•          proof of identification (ID book/card or passport)</p><p>•          a bank statement for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that they do not have a bank account</p><p>•          a bond statement for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that they do not have a bond account</p><p>•          a copy of the estate documents if the applicant has inherited his or her house</p><p> </p><p><strong>If residents are employed, they must also include:</strong></p><p>•          latest salary/wage pay slip or a letter from an employer stating their income</p><p>•          a sworn affidavit if they are self-employed stating how much is earned per month</p><p>•          proof if a disability grant, maintenance grant or pension is received</p><p> </p><p><strong>If residents are unemployed, they must include the following in the application:</strong></p><p>•          a sworn affidavit stating that they are unemployed</p><p>•          a sworn affidavit stating that they have no other source of income</p><p> </p><p><strong>Useful contacts and information:</strong></p><p><strong> </strong></p><p><strong>For rates or services relief</strong></p><p>•          Visit: <a href="" target="_blank"></a> or a City customer office.</p><p>•          Email: <a href="" target="_blank"></a>  </p><p> </p><p><strong>Pensioner rates relief</strong></p><p>•          Pensioners 60 years or older and people who receive social grants earning no more than R17 500 may qualify for a rates rebate of between 10% and 100%. They are invited to go to the nearest City customer care office or send an email to <a href="" target="_blank"></a> </p><p>•          For more information on how to apply for pensioner support: <a href="" target="_blank"></a>  </p><p> </p><p><strong>For payment arrangements</strong></p><p>•          Visit: <a href="" target="_blank"></a> </p><p>•          Email: <a href="" target="_blank"></a> </p><p> </p><p><strong>For a list of the City's Cash Offices and Walk-in Centres, please visit:</strong> <a href="" target="_blank"></a> </p><p> <br></p><p> </p><p><strong>End</strong></p><p><br></p>2022-10-16T22:00:00ZGP0|#1d539e44-7c8c-4646-887d-386dc1d95d70;L0|#01d539e44-7c8c-4646-887d-386dc1d95d70|City news;GTSet|#62efe227-07aa-45e7-944c-ceebacca891dGP0|#40069447-c9f4-4b4c-a0a9-22fcbdcd3778;L0|#040069447-c9f4-4b4c-a0a9-22fcbdcd3778|rates;GTSet|#2e3de6c1-9951-4747-8f53-470629a399bb;GP0|#e2c4d983-bbfc-4d41-ae56-89aacd57eb6e;L0|#0e2c4d983-bbfc-4d41-ae56-89aacd57eb6e|walk-in centre10

You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.