Skip to content





Be vigilant - report electricity scammers to the City, SAPS<p>​‘I am reiterating my call to residents to please be vigilant at all times and to report any suspicious activities to the SAPS and the City. Municipal workers and the City’s electricity contractors who are carrying out work in your home must at all times carry a notification or reference number specific to the home they are visiting, and must carry a legitimate City issued identification card. Secondly, it is important to remember when residents apply for a rates rebate that electricity meters, plugs and light bulbs in your home do not need to be checked by the City as part of the application process. <br></p><div>‘This week, we were alerted to an incident in Kenilworth where scammers convinced a resident that they needed to check plugs, lights and the electricity meter as part of a City rates rebate application. Once the scammer gained access to the resident’s home, they stole personal items. The City will provide assistance to the police investigation. </div><div><br></div><div>‘If you are unsure about any City official visiting your home, please do not hesitate before making contact with the City’s Call Centre to verify. Residents can call the City’s Call Centre on 0860 103 089 to confirm whether work is being carried out in their area and to verify the reference number prior to giving them access to your property.</div><div><br></div><div>‘Please remember that when the requested reference number or City-issued identification card cannot be produced, to not allow them into your home,’ said Mayoral Committee Member for Energy, Councillor Beverley van Reenen.</div><div><br><strong>The South African Police Service is the lead authority in crime prevention. </strong></div><div><br></div><div><strong>Members of the public can verify whether visitors to their home are in fact employed by the City by:</strong></div><div><br></div><div>•<span style="white-space:pre;"> </span>phoning the Call Centre on 0860 103 089 to confirm whether work is being carried out in their area<br><br></div><div>•<span style="white-space:pre;"> </span>informing the official that they will allow them entry only once the Call Centre has verified their identity</div><div><br></div><div><strong>Quick tips for residents:</strong><br></div><div>•<span style="white-space:pre;"> </span>Plugs, light bulbs and electricity meters need not be checked when applying for a rates rebate<br><br></div><div>•<span style="white-space:pre;"> </span>Only buy legitimate electricity units at the correct price per unit<br><br></div><div>•<span style="white-space:pre;"> </span>You may only qualify for pensioner support if you have applied by filling in a form<br><br></div><div>•<span style="white-space:pre;"> </span>Always verify the notification or reference number when an official visits your home <br><br></div><div>•<span style="white-space:pre;"> </span>Check the official’s City-issued identification card <br><br></div><div>•<span style="white-space:pre;"> </span>The ID card must display the City logo, the name and surname of the staff member or mandated contractor, and must contain an embedded photo of the staff member or mandated contractor<br><br></div><div>•<span style="white-space:pre;"> </span>If unsure, call the City’s Call Centre on 0860 103 089<br><br></div><div>•<span style="white-space:pre;"> </span>Report suspicious behaviour to the City’s law enforcement agencies or to the SAPS</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><strong>End</strong><br><br></div>2024-01-09T22:00:00ZGP0|#1d539e44-7c8c-4646-887d-386dc1d95d70;L0|#01d539e44-7c8c-4646-887d-386dc1d95d70|City news;GTSet|#62efe227-07aa-45e7-944c-ceebacca891dGP0|#b195be29-9300-4dc7-ac99-92629ce847ac;L0|#0b195be29-9300-4dc7-ac99-92629ce847ac|electricity;GTSet|#2e3de6c1-9951-4747-8f53-470629a399bb;GP0|#1e6d4dd7-f74b-4034-8fc0-0ab06e8d9e5a;L0|#01e6d4dd7-f74b-4034-8fc0-0ab06e8d9e5a|scam10

You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.