Skip to content





Neighbour and property disputes <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Building and planning disputes or problems</h2></span> <p>If you suspect that your neighbour is building illegally, has not followed the proper approval process, or if you see a health or safety problem on their building site, you should report it immediately.</p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p>If you report an issue, you will be asked to come in and lodge an official complaint in writing at your closest planning office. All complaints are considered official records and, should the complaint result in prosecution, this record may form part of the evidence required for a successful action.</p></div></div></span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Building along erf boundaries</h2><p>​​​​​​​Building plans have to take into account site boundaries and boundary lines. While there may be national regulations related to buildings, each municipality also has its own zoning by-laws that govern boundary lines – whether along a street or a neighbouring erf.</p><p>Speak to a local <a href="" target="_blank">District Planning office</a> about your erf boundary concerns. </p><p>You can also consult the:</p><p> <strong>Development Management Scheme</strong><br>Check boundary laws by consulting the <a href="">Development Management Scheme</a>, which forms part of the Municipal <a href="">Planning By-Law</a>.</p><p> <strong>Zoning viewer</strong><br>Our <a href="">zoning viewer</a> gives you access to a dynamic map of the city. You can find more information on the land use regulations for a particular erf.</p><p> <strong>Previous zoning schemes</strong><br>If a property-owner’s plans were submitted before the City changed to the  current single, integrated zoning scheme, you may have to check the <a href="">previous zoning schemes</a>.</p><h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Report boundary issues</h2><p>​​​​​​​We recommend that you visit your nearest <a href="" target="_blank">district planning office</a> and consult them about your specific boundary concern. </p><p>If you would like to submit an official complaint, take note of the following:</p><ul><li>Your complaint must be in writing.</li><li>It cannot be anonymous – you must include your name and address.</li><li>You need to include the name and address of the alleged offender.</li><li>You will need to supply a detailed account of the alleged contravention or incident.</li><li>You may be required to supply evidence.</li></ul><p> <a href="" target="_blank">Find out more about how we address these kinds of complaints</a>.</p><h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Illegal or inappropriate use of property</h2><p>Our city is controlled by strict zoning laws that determine whether or not someone is allowed to use a property for certain practices, such as living, working or farming. </p><p>If you submit an official complaint regarding a suspected illegal land use incident, we will investigate. If it is proven to be illegal, we will first ask the offender to stop their illegal activity. If they do not stop, the City can then prosecute. </p><p>Prosecution can take a long time, so it is important that you provide all the required information or evidence when you submit your complaint, so that the process is not delayed.</p><h4>Heritage sites</h4><p>Many parts of Cape Town are  heritage sites that are protected by the National Heritage Resources Act. If you live in an area or building protected because of their <a href="">heritage characteristics</a>, you may need heritage permission to make any changes.</p><p> Find out more by consulting our <a href="">heritage information and resources</a> page.</p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info toptip">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Top tip</h4><p> <b></b>Report damage to heritage sites or buildings at a <a href="" target="_blank">Heritage Management District Office</a> near you.</p></div></div></span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Noise disputes</h2><p>We encourage all Capetonians to practice tolerance, but we also have controls in place to help resolve disputes and keep our city safe and secure.</p><p>Noise from other properties (such as the noise made by drilling, building work or parties) is a commonly reported issue. If you cannot resolve the problem by talking to the offending party, you can call on the City for assistance.</p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p>Building work, demolition or excavations that involve heavy machinery, or that create unreasonable noise disturbances, are not allowed before 06:00 or after 18:00 on weekdays, before 06:00 or after 17:00 on Saturdays, and are not allowed at all on public holidays and Sundays.</p></div></div></span> <p> <strong>We categorise noise into two brackets:</strong></p><h4>Noise nuisance</h4><p>This is usually ‘obvious’ noise that is easily identifiable, that does not usually happen and that should not be making such a level of noise. The noise does not have to be very loud – it could be a sparking electric fence, or a party – but for it to be a noise nuisance, it needs to be out of place.</p><h4>Noise disturbance </h4><p>This tends to be a longer-term issue and comes from sources that are more permanent but less obvious – for example, industrial noise, singing from churches or calls from mosques. We will need to take a decibel reading to enforce control.</p><p>Find out more on the City’s definition of noise and the impact it causes. </p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Report noise</h4><p>You can report a specific noise nuisance or disturbance or <a href="">submit a complaint online</a>. For urgent, extreme noise disturbances, call our <a href="">emergency call centre</a> on 021 480 7700 from a cellphone or 107 from a landline. </p></div></div></span> <h4>Noise legislation</h4><p>The following legislation helps us effectively prevent various forms of noise pollution:</p><ul><li> <a href="" target="_blank">Environment Conservation Act <i class="icon link-external"></i>​​</a> provides noise regulations.</li><li> <a href="" target="_blank">National Road Traffic Act <i class="icon link-external"></i>​​</a> controls noise levels related to road traffic.</li><li> <a href="" target="_blank">Civil Aviation Act <i class="icon link-external"></i>​​</a> prevents nuisance in relation to air navigation or aircraft-related issues.</li><li> <a href="">Occupational Health and Safety Act <i class="icon link-external"></i>​​</a> ensures the safety of people in the workplace. </li></ul><h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​City Connect</h2><p> </p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading white-copy yellow bg-darker-grey"><div class="graphic"> <i class="info citycard">​​</i></div><div class="desc"><h4>You may also want to:</h4><p> <a href="">Report noise</a></p><p> <a href="">Report illegal land use, building or development</a></p><p> <a href="">Report a problem building</a></p><p> <a href="">Report illegal occupancy or land invasion</a></p><p> </p></div></div></span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Contact us</h2><p> <strong><a href="">Development Management Department</a></strong></p><p> <em>Telephone:</em></p><p> <em> <a>0860 103 089</a></em></p>GP0|#8eeb1d2e-86bb-47ee-8eba-16d684b8e49b;L0|#08eeb1d2e-86bb-47ee-8eba-16d684b8e49b|Neighbour and property disputes;GTSet|#ef3a64a2-d764-44bc-9d69-3a63d3fadea1;GPP|#4a619d95-fa47-44b6-ae96-2a71653eca5a;GPP|#e84b352a-6ba5-4275-b687-8cbfc7420a42;GPP|#245ec7aa-a528-4cd3-bcac-597c292db711;GP0|#2029c69b-f74f-48b7-9b69-1501b348d4e3;L0|#02029c69b-f74f-48b7-9b69-1501b348d4e3|Neighbour and property disputes;GPP|#f67a5303-34b2-491c-aa51-3a0ecb4ac67b;GPP|#139d77cd-9754-40dd-be4d-bda95eda1639;GPP|#e88ff549-973f-4e3c-a46c-cfbe61bd6a24While we encourage all Capetonians to practice tolerance, we also have controls in place to help resolve disputes among neighbours.0



2009 Boundary Walls and Fences Policy2309395GP0|#ecf0e702-25db-4c12-bbc2-be85db2304fd;L0|#0ecf0e702-25db-4c12-bbc2-be85db2304fd|Policy;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#2d2209ac-5bcc-4d2a-9da9-05fb21c94ea1;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2008-12-31T22:00:00Z
Development Management District Offices Contact List803135GP0|#8c7d6035-e7ea-4e28-a6e6-082bc1988a7e;L0|#08c7d6035-e7ea-4e28-a6e6-082bc1988a7e|Contact list;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f82;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2024-01-18T22:00:00Z
What Is Noise? Handbook539308GP0|#dcc8214b-489e-4c99-a7e9-6bc8bda6e154;L0|#0dcc8214b-489e-4c99-a7e9-6bc8bda6e154|Handbook;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d3;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2015-12-31T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.