Skip to content





Maintain your property<h2 class="sectHeading">General maintenance of property</h2><p>​​If you are an owner of or tenant in a property, and are responsible for basic upkeep of the building you are occupying, please take note of the recommendations and regulations for general site and building maintenance. Maintenance, in general, must comply with <a href="">national building legislation</a>. </p><h4> Even though maintenance may be minor, like painting a wall or fixing a gate, here are some overarching things you should take note of:</h4><ul><li>The use of a building needs to be in line with the area’s zoning and the use of, and practices on, the property need to be legal. </li><li>Your building and anything attached to it always has to be structurally safe – you cannot risk the lives of those in the building or near it. </li><li>Waste needs to be removed appropriately, whether your building is a <a href="">business</a> or a <a href="">home</a>: rubbish or rubble cannot accumulate on the property, or around it.</li><li>You may not store building material, wrecked cars or broken appliances in a yard unless you have the correct permission. </li><li>If you are responsible for a heritage site or building, you will probably need to apply for a permit to make any kind of exterior changes. Find out more about <a href="">heritage sites or buildings</a>. </li><li>As a rule, anything that could hurt someone is usually regulated. For example, razor wire cannot be used on street-facing fences or walls, and only certain materials are allowed for boundary walls and fences. Read about these regulations in our <a href="" target="_blank">Boundary Walls and Fences Policy</a>.</li><li>Any major electrical wiring needs to be compliant with SANS 10142, as mapped out in our <a href="" target="_blank">Guideline for Electrical Contractors</a>.</li><li>Be aware of noise: sparking electric fencing, electric tools, and loud sounds can lead to <a href="">neighbour and property disputes</a>. </li></ul><h2 class="sectHeading">Problem buildings​​​​​​​</h2><p>The City can decide if a property is neglected or in an offensive state and if it is, legally, we have to take action. Our <a href=""> Law Enforcement, Traffic and Coordination Department</a> have a special <a href="">Problem Buildings Unit </a> that deals with neglected properties in our city. </p><h4> A problem building is defined as a building that: </h4><ul><li>appears to be abandoned (whether rates are paid or not);</li><li>appears derelict, is overcrowded or otherwise objectionable;</li><li>receives complaints relating to criminal activity;</li><li>is illegally occupied;</li><li>has excessive waste dumped or stored on/in it; or</li><li>is an incomplete building or has structurally dangerous elements</li></ul><h4> Tariffs and charges</h4><p>Problem building owners/occupiers can be fined up to R300 000, imprisoned for up to three years, or both. They are also responsible for the costs of property rehabilitation; an added monthly tariff of R5 000 will be added to the rates and services account. </p><p>The City charges a monthly Problem Building Tariff for property owners whose properties are on the City's list of problem buildings. This is a step tariff, which means the amount increases the longer a property remains on the list.</p><ul><li>Download our <a href="" target="_blank">Problem Property By-law</a>. </li><li>View our <a href="">Law Enforcement tariffs sheet</a> for Problem building tariffs.</li></ul><h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Maintenance of rental buildings</h2><p>In rental situations, generally you will have a contract with the property owner who commits to the maintenance of the building and site. However, every tenant needs to be responsible for the basic upkeep of waste disposal and ensuring that nothing illegal is happening on the property. </p><div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p>Find out more about <a href="">housing opportunities </a>from the City of Cape Town. </p></div></div><p>Your landlord, whether private or the City, is equally responsible for the basic upkeep of the property and ensuring your health and safety. Failure to adequately maintain the rental property and failure to provide municipal services can sometimes become quite serious. </p><p> <strong>Rental Housing Tribunal<br></strong>If you are having any serious problems with either your tenants or the owner of a property you are renting, and you need help solving the issue, speak to the <a href="" target="_blank">Rental Housing Tribunal<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>.</p><p>The Rental Housing Tribunal is a free service for tenants and landlords in the Western Cape. The tribunal consists of appointed members who are experts in property management, housing development and consumer matters related to rental housing. They can advise on and settle disputes between tenants and landlords.</p>GP0|#cda78b63-de21-47f6-9b30-001eafefff87;L0|#0cda78b63-de21-47f6-9b30-001eafefff87|Maintain your property;GTSet|#ef3a64a2-d764-44bc-9d69-3a63d3fadea1;GPP|#744d5406-412f-4ccd-bf13-c144b2183d17;GPP|#e84b352a-6ba5-4275-b687-8cbfc7420a42;GPP|#245ec7aa-a528-4cd3-bcac-597c292db711;GP0|#841079ef-1c77-4a71-a430-0db3c2aaa14b;L0|#0841079ef-1c77-4a71-a430-0db3c2aaa14b|Maintain your property;GPP|#e41cfc86-e39f-4f49-9a2d-705ff113293e;GPP|#139d77cd-9754-40dd-be4d-bda95eda1639;GPP|#e88ff549-973f-4e3c-a46c-cfbe61bd6a24Take note of the following recommendations to properly and lawfully maintain your property.0



2009 Boundary Walls and Fences Policy2309395GP0|#ecf0e702-25db-4c12-bbc2-be85db2304fd;L0|#0ecf0e702-25db-4c12-bbc2-be85db2304fd|Policy;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#2d2209ac-5bcc-4d2a-9da9-05fb21c94ea1;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2008-12-31T22:00:00Z
Electrical Contractors Guideline7412236GP0|#63522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33;L0|#063522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33|Guideline;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d3;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2014-06-23T22:00:00Z
Law Enforcement Tariffs830246GP0|#fe9c9791-d3b1-479c-9447-8be3f4d5e139;L0|#0fe9c9791-d3b1-479c-9447-8be3f4d5e139|Budget annexure;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#6f477a30-54ff-4877-a387-889f32ddb0f9;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e;GP0|#cd8d1412-d058-4a6b-aecb-9c6bd8dbc168;L0|#0cd8d1412-d058-4a6b-aecb-9c6bd8dbc168|Tariff;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f822022-07-01T10:00:00Z
Problem Property By-law, 2019808957GP0|#d103d4c5-1de8-474e-9fc7-0f42143d9284;L0|#0d103d4c5-1de8-474e-9fc7-0f42143d9284|By-law;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#2d2209ac-5bcc-4d2a-9da9-05fb21c94ea1;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2020-11-26T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.