Skip to content





Guide to minor works<h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Minor works that do not need building plan approval</h2><p>​Some minor works do not need a building plan, and some do need plans to be submitted and approved.</p><div class="notification with-heading dark-copy light-blue bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info fastfact">​​</i></div><div class="desc"><h4>Fast fact​</h4><p> <b></b>As an owner of a property, you can draw up your own plans for certain types of building work, such as swimming pools and braais without chimneys.</p></div></div><h4>​​​​​​​Minor works that do not need approval include:</h4><ul><li> <strong>Braais without a chimney</strong></li><li> <strong>Garden sheds</strong> less than 3 m<sup>2</sup></li><li> <strong>Gate for cars</strong> – unless partly on pavement or the City’s land</li><li> <strong>Replacement of windows or doors</strong>– provided the existing frames aren’t load bearing, and that openings aren’t enlarged or that any openings needed for fire escapes aren’t removed</li><li> <strong>Minor repairs to a house or shop</strong> – for example, replacement of roofing or tile sheets </li><li> <strong>New appliances or new fittings</strong> – for example, installing a new toilet, bath or geyser, or changing the position of these, provided that the work does not include new or extended drainage or plumbing.</li></ul> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Minor works that do need building plan approval</h2> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p> <strong>Consult with us </strong>If you’re not sure and your intended action is not listed above enquire at your District Planning Office. You can find all District Planning Office contact information on the <a href="">Development Management department page.</a>​</p></div></div> <h4> Even though they may be on private land and may not be a major build, minor works that do need approval include: </h4> <ul><li> <b>Swimming pools</b> </li><li> <b>Wendy houses</b> </li><li> <b>Garden sheds</b> bigger than 3 m<sup>2</sup> </li><li> <b>Carports</b> </li><li> <b>Any renovations that add new elements to a fundamental aspect of the building or property</b> – like different roofing tiles, or a removal of a wall that may change the building’s structure </li><li> <b>Boundary walls</b></li><li> <b>Any temporary building being used for construction</b> – like a builder’s hut</li><li> <b>Aviary</b></li></ul> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info remember">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Remember</h4><p>All minor works must be used for its intended purpose; for example, you can’t build an ‘animal enclosure’ and have a tenant move in. If you want to change the use of an existing building, even where no physical work or construction was undertaken, you need to get approval first.</p></div></div></span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​How to apply for minor works;</h2><p> <strong>Any building works need to be applied for in the same way:       </strong> <br>By submitting a building plan application along with the relevant building plans and any other documentation or forms necessary for the type of build you are planning.</p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading white-copy yellow bg-darker-grey"><div class="graphic"><i class="info citycard">​​</i></div><div class="desc"><h4>City Connect</h4><p><a href="">Submit a building plan</a> </p></div></div></span>GP0|#7836d7fe-b5f7-4a44-8753-1953bf7ca3a2;L0|#07836d7fe-b5f7-4a44-8753-1953bf7ca3a2|Guide to minor works;GTSet|#ef3a64a2-d764-44bc-9d69-3a63d3fadea1;GPP|#49ecc589-c687-428c-b9ae-8dc29807086b;GPP|#e84b352a-6ba5-4275-b687-8cbfc7420a42;GPP|#245ec7aa-a528-4cd3-bcac-597c292db711;GP0|#6c3635f9-e561-4c26-b63a-8586f60798ae;L0|#06c3635f9-e561-4c26-b63a-8586f60798ae|Guide to minor works;GPP|#fdad1809-7cc1-4628-8205-da24312cb0c9;GPP|#139d77cd-9754-40dd-be4d-bda95eda1639;GPP|#e88ff549-973f-4e3c-a46c-cfbe61bd6a24;GP0|#fa0f9695-7334-46b1-860d-72ee501902b3;L0|#0fa0f9695-7334-46b1-860d-72ee501902b3|Guide to minor works;GPP|#744d5406-412f-4ccd-bf13-c144b2183d17;GP0|#e58b8041-8f7f-4dc7-9111-6103d83f6fe2;L0|#0e58b8041-8f7f-4dc7-9111-6103d83f6fe2|Guide to minor works;GPP|#e41cfc86-e39f-4f49-9a2d-705ff113293eProperty owners wanting to make changes or small additions to a property can read the following guide to minor building works.



DMI Series: Building Plan Preparation and Submission Guideline661911GP0|#63522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33;L0|#063522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33|Guideline;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d3;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2020-07-23T10:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.