Skip to content





Overview of land use and planning applications for property owners<h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​The land use management (LUM) application process</h2><p>​​Even if you have appointed a builder, architect or planner to manage your application, it is useful for you to understand the processes that they must follow. The land use approval process is tied to the City’s zoning regulations and laws – the use of a building, whether a house or an office, can only be used for what it is zoned. </p><p>Generally, all new buildings and sites have to go through a <a href="">land use approval process</a>, followed by a building plan application process. New additions to your property that will change the land use of the site, also need a land-use application to be approved.</p><div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p>Getting public feedback on a building project or development is linked to a <a href="">LUM application</a>. Objections would be invited during an application where LUM approval is sought, which happens before a building plan application.</p></div></div><h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Land use departures ​​​​​​​</h2><p>Sometimes the site is already zoned for the intended use – for example, you want to build a new office and your site is already zoned for business or commercial development and use. </p><p>However, an application is often made to us for what we call a ‘zoning departure’ which means that the site is going to be used for something other than what is it already zoned for. This application process can be complicated and lengthy.</p><p>All the required information, documents and where necessary, relevant impact assessments have to be included in a zoning departure submission. If all the land use requirements have been met, you may submit the building plan application.</p><p> <strong>The land use approval process follows some basic steps: </strong></p><ul><li>Pre-application process </li><li>Submission</li><li>Public participation/ advertising (once application considered complete), including applicant response to any objections/and or comments received </li><li>Detailed technical assessment by the <a href="">Development Management Department​</a>, including amendments/ revisions by applicant if required </li><li>Decision </li><li>Notification of decision (to applicant/ and or objectors/ and or intervener) </li><li>Appeal (by applicant/ and or objectors/ and or intervener)</li></ul><p>See our <a href="" target="_blank">Standard Operating Procedure for the Notification of Land Use Development Applications</a>.</p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading white-copy yellow bg-darker-grey"><div class="graphic"> <i class="info citycard">​​</i></div><div class="desc"><h4>City Connect</h4><p><a href="">Land use, planning and building services in City Connect </a></p></div></div></span> <h2 class="sectHeading">The building plan application process</h2><p>If all the land use requirements have been met, your architect or engineer will then apply for building plan approval. This stage requires formal building plans to be submitted along with any relevant forms, documentation, a scrutiny fee, and your land use approval, if necessary. The building plan is circulated internally with the relevant departments to make sure all the features of the building or renovations are in line with local and national regulations.</p><p>Departments check for the correct structural features in the plans – such as water, sanitation and electricity supply compliance, as well as health and safety features like fire safety and ventilation. If your site or building has heritage status, the planning application will also need to show heritage compliance. </p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading white-copy yellow bg-darker-grey"><div class="graphic"> <i class="info citycard">​​</i></div><div class="desc"><h4>City Connect</h4><p> <a href="">See all building, planning and development applications</a></p></div></div></span>GP0|#18200408-a76a-4343-a70f-288e9ab33a21;L0|#018200408-a76a-4343-a70f-288e9ab33a21|Overview of land use, planning and building applications for property owners;GTSet|#ef3a64a2-d764-44bc-9d69-3a63d3fadea1;GPP|#49ecc589-c687-428c-b9ae-8dc29807086b;GPP|#e84b352a-6ba5-4275-b687-8cbfc7420a42;GPP|#245ec7aa-a528-4cd3-bcac-597c292db711;GP0|#55d122ee-6a00-40c2-bf32-645b3e1c7c1c;L0|#055d122ee-6a00-40c2-bf32-645b3e1c7c1c|Overview of land use and planning applications for property owners;GPP|#fdad1809-7cc1-4628-8205-da24312cb0c9;GPP|#139d77cd-9754-40dd-be4d-bda95eda1639;GPP|#e88ff549-973f-4e3c-a46c-cfbe61bd6a24Learn about the application process a builder, architect or project manager follows on the owner’s behalf.0



Rules for Informal Traders Pamphlet420666GP0|#63522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33;L0|#063522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33|Guideline;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d3;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e;GP0|#367c7831-4239-4ad6-824a-c4325897c033;L0|#0367c7831-4239-4ad6-824a-c4325897c033|Pamphlet;GPP|#5340fe0b-73a7-472c-bef7-04e450fb5c4f2015-12-31T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.