Skip to content





Land use and zoning<h2 class="sectHeading">​​​Consult zoning and land use legislation</h2><p>By managing land use, the City of Cape Town, like all other cities, ensures that property development takes place in an ordered and sustainable way.</p><p> <a href="">The City of Cape Town Development Management Scheme (DMS)</a> is a schedule to the <a href="" target="_blank">Municipal Planning By-Law and amendments</a> and should be consulted by anyone needing to know how land use and zoning is managed and demarcated in the city.</p><div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Request a zoning extract online<br></h4><p>Register on e-Services and activate Development Application Management System (DAMS) to request a zoning extract online and many other development application services. <br></p></div></div><h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Check the zoning of your erf</h2><p>​​​​​​​Whether it’s a crèche, guesthouse in a residential area, a restaurant in the CBD or an industrial workshop, before opening a business or planning a build, it’s imperative to check that your site complies with the City’s zoning scheme.</p><p> <strong>City Map and Zoning Viewer</strong><br>Checking our ‘Development Management Zoning Map Viewer’ is a great and easy way to establish your properties zoning rights, before seeing if you will need to make a <a href=""> land use application</a>.</p><p> <strong>Please note: </strong>Changing your zoning category is not the same as changing your property rating category (see below).</p><table class="ms-rteTable-default" cellspacing="0" style="width:100%;"><tbody><tr><th class="ms-rteTable-default" style="width:47%;">​Property Zoning</th><th class="ms-rteTable-default" style="width:255px;">​Property rating category</th></tr><tr><td class="ms-rteTable-default" style="width:47%;">​A property is assigned a zoning category (<a href="">see the DMS</a>). This category determines what the property can be used for. For example: a property that is zoned as 'residential', cannot be used for 'business' purposes without permission from our <a href="">Development Management Department.</a>To change the zoning of your property, you need to <a href="">submit a land use application</a></td><td class="ms-rteTable-default" style="width:255px;">​Your property's rating category is determined by what the property is used for, and your <a href="">property rates</a> will depend on the rate associated with that category. A change to your property rating category is only applicable to properties valued on the <a href="">GV2018 roll</a> and only upon request from our <a href="">Valuations Department</a>. </td></tr></tbody></table><p>See our <a href="">City Map and Zoning Viewer</a> to find out the zoning of your property</p><p>Once you know what the zoning and development parameters are for the property you’ll know if you need to go ahead and submit a <a href=""> land use application</a>.</p><h2 class="sectHeading">Zoning extract</h2><p> Zoning is verified by means of an Official Zoning Extract, which is required for certain applications. Click on the link below and follow the step-by-step process to apply.</p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading white-copy yellow bg-darker-grey"><div class="graphic"> <i class="info citycard">​​</i></div><div class="desc"><h4>City Connect</h4><p> <a href="">Apply for a zoning extract </a> </p></div></div></span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Get advice​​​​​​​</h2><p>We recommend that you first consult with the relevant District Planning Office. To get in touch, contact</p><h4> <a href="">Development Management Department</a>​</h4><p><em>Telephone:<br><a>021 401 4702</a></em><br></p><p>You can also download our <a href="" target="_blank">district office contact list​</a>.</p><div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p>For <a href="" target="_blank">certain pre-determined applications​</a>​, you will need to consult a land use planner in your district. </p></div></div>GP0|#d5e86cb5-a62f-4693-ae04-d839c46d295e;L0|#0d5e86cb5-a62f-4693-ae04-d839c46d295e|Land use and zoning;GTSet|#ef3a64a2-d764-44bc-9d69-3a63d3fadea1;GPP|#0bc23a93-205f-4046-b65f-182004fcf867;GPP|#78a56262-5d4a-460c-a3f2-af7bc1b69a54;GPP|#e88ff549-973f-4e3c-a46c-cfbe61bd6a24;GP0|#19d5d1bb-6681-4744-9032-f00df6d83985;L0|#019d5d1bb-6681-4744-9032-f00df6d83985|Land use and zoning;GPP|#361e517a-76ea-46ad-84c7-38978941b047;GPP|#139d77cd-9754-40dd-be4d-bda95eda1639;GP0|#1c9c3004-0404-41cd-a093-6df098667e66;L0|#01c9c3004-0404-41cd-a093-6df098667e66|Land use and zoning;GPP|#646c5293-8881-4bc6-8a31-4322870a6d31;GPP|#ce2f744d-a7d0-4f70-9e09-6cef4e0b7eb4;GP0|#53325dad-52b5-4594-9f2a-736d193a1245;L0|#053325dad-52b5-4594-9f2a-736d193a1245|Land use and zoning;GPP|#90c8c6be-382d-4946-ba1b-9efcd434ece6;GPP|#e84b352a-6ba5-4275-b687-8cbfc7420a42;GPP|#245ec7aa-a528-4cd3-bcac-597c292db711;GP0|#e0a30d0f-fab3-460c-9fa4-052e0f1cd2f5;L0|#0e0a30d0f-fab3-460c-9fa4-052e0f1cd2f5|Land use and zoning;GPP|#49ecc589-c687-428c-b9ae-8dc29807086bRead about your property’s zoning category and the development parameters outlining what can or cannot be done on your property and in the area.0



Municipal Planning By-law 20154183516GP0|#d103d4c5-1de8-474e-9fc7-0f42143d9284;L0|#0d103d4c5-1de8-474e-9fc7-0f42143d9284|By-law;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#2d2209ac-5bcc-4d2a-9da9-05fb21c94ea1;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2015-02-28T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.