Skip to content





Advice for an owner-builder <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​​Factors to consider</h2><p>​​​​​​​<strong>We strongly recommend working with accredited practitioners rather than trying to do it alone; here are some reasons why:​​</strong></p><ul><li>If your building is older than 60 years or a Provincial Heritage Site, the City cannot process your application without a <a href="" target="_blank"> Record of Decision from Heritage Western Cape<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>. </li><li>Land use and buildings have to be considerate of complex social and environmental criteria and approval of plans can only be given if all criteria are taken into account appropriately and according to the law. </li><li>Only a <a href="" target="_blank">SACAP<i class="icon link-external"></i></a> registered professional can draw building plans. Even if you know how to prepare plans, the updated <a href="" target="_blank">South African National Building Regulations and Building Standards Act (2008)<i class="icon link-external"></i></a> ​states clearly that anyone drawing plans needs to be registered according to a recognised professional act, such as the <a href="" target="_blank">Architectural Professions Act, 2000<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>, the <a href="" target="_blank"> Engineering Profession Act, 2000<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>, the <a href="" target="_blank">Natural Scientific Professions Act, 2003<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>, or any other relevant Act.</li><li>Your land use and planning applications to the City can be rejected if you have not submitted all the required documentation that refers to your build – again, unless you have experience, you could delay your plans considerably by even the smallest omission. </li><li>Accredited practitioners are familiar with the requirements for submission and can prevent delays caused by omission of documentation. </li><li>An experienced builder or project manager can keep your project within budget and will know how to manage the project’s financial status by helping you make the correct choices.</li><li>A new dwelling unit must be registered with the <a href="" target="_blank">NHBRC<i class="icon link-external"></i></a> and can only be built by a builder who is also registered with the NHBRC.</li></ul> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p>The City’s building inspectors conduct 3 compulsory inspections during construction to verify that the building work is carried out as per the approved plan. These inspections happen at trench, sewer and completion stage</p></div></div></span> <p>If you are certain you want to proceed alone, then we recommend consulting first with your <a href="" target="_blank">local Development Management District offices</a>.</p>GP0|#700239db-65af-4c82-bbe2-a72c79361d99;L0|#0700239db-65af-4c82-bbe2-a72c79361d99|Advice for an owner-builder;GTSet|#ef3a64a2-d764-44bc-9d69-3a63d3fadea1;GPP|#49ecc589-c687-428c-b9ae-8dc29807086b;GPP|#e84b352a-6ba5-4275-b687-8cbfc7420a42;GPP|#245ec7aa-a528-4cd3-bcac-597c292db711;GP0|#053f8a8d-a959-4e90-a174-0f47d07fe159;L0|#0053f8a8d-a959-4e90-a174-0f47d07fe159|Advice for an owner-builder;GPP|#fdad1809-7cc1-4628-8205-da24312cb0c9;GPP|#139d77cd-9754-40dd-be4d-bda95eda1639;GPP|#e88ff549-973f-4e3c-a46c-cfbe61bd6a24What every homeowner should know about building permissions



Development Management District Offices Contact List803135GP0|#8c7d6035-e7ea-4e28-a6e6-082bc1988a7e;L0|#08c7d6035-e7ea-4e28-a6e6-082bc1988a7e|Contact list;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f82;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2024-01-18T22:00:00Z
District Planning Offices Contact List and Map721876GP0|#816346e9-401b-4120-ab33-f8b010e35cd1;L0|#0816346e9-401b-4120-ab33-f8b010e35cd1|Map;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#2ee73080-1b32-4320-889d-034e60d31b3a;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e;GP0|#8c7d6035-e7ea-4e28-a6e6-082bc1988a7e;L0|#08c7d6035-e7ea-4e28-a6e6-082bc1988a7e|Contact list;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f822015-12-31T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.