Skip to content





Report abuse of the elderly<span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​How to identify abuse of an older person​​​​​</h2></span> <p>An older person is defined as a man over 65, and a woman over 60 years of age. Abuse of an older person is defined as the following:</p><ul><li>Physical abuse: any act or threat of physical violence</li><li>Sexual abuse: any sexual behaviour towards the older person without their consent</li><li>Psychological abuse: any behaviour that causes emotional pain, including repeated insults and threats, as well as invasion of privacy or security</li><li>Economic abuse: depriving the older person of their finances or property entitled to them by law, as well as selling property that belongs to the older person without their consent</li></ul><p>You can report abuse to a social worker who will then work with the police to investigate the situation. We have a number of hotlines that you can phone to make the process as easy as possible. </p><p>You can also report the abuse directly to the SAPS. The police will then inform the Director-General of the alleged abuse and the matter will be investigated further. These investigations may result in removing either the older person or the alleged abuser from the place where the older person resides, and possibly bringing the alleged offender before a magistrate’s court.</p> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​Contact us​​​​​​​</h2></span> <p>To report abuse in your area, contact your district's <a href="" target="_blank">Social Development and Early Childhood Development office</a>. The Director of District Services, Desiree Galant, is also available to direct you to where to report the abuse in your area. Please contact her on <em> <a>021 444 9548</a></em> or e-mail <a href=""> <em></em></a>.</p><p>You can also contact the Metropolitan Police Services directly by phoning their hotline on <em> <a>0800 323 1310</a>.</em></p><p> <a href="" target="_blank">The Department of Social Development (DSD)<i class="icon link-external"></i></a> deals with abuse in the Western Cape. You can contact their abuse hotline on <strong> </strong> <em> <a>0800 220 250</a></em> or contact the DSD offices on <em><a>021 483 5045</a></em>. Alternatively, contact <a href="" target="_blank">Age in Action<i class="icon link-external"></i></a> – an organisation affiliated with the DSD – on their hotline,<strong> </strong> <em> <a>0800 333 231</a></em>.</p><p>For more information on abuse of the elderly, email <a href=""> <em></em></a>.</p>GP0|#1507116b-8727-4c55-94f0-ee33079f96fa;L0|#01507116b-8727-4c55-94f0-ee33079f96fa|Report abuse;GTSet|#a7cfb90d-44ad-4426-98ce-565f79932396;GPP|#d33d4bac-828f-4051-af8d-b976c98827efIf you suspect that an older person has been abused, you can help by reporting the abuse.0





You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.