Skip to content





Report vandalism<h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​What is City infrastructure?</h2><p>City infrastructure is every building, structure, space or thing which is managed and maintained by the City of Cape Town, including:</p><ul><li>public and open spaces (parks, sports fields, etc.)</li><li>municipal buildings and facilities</li><li>roads, stormwater drains and water pipes</li><li>traffic and street lights</li><li>electrical substations</li></ul><h2 class="sectHeading">Types of vandalism</h2><p>See the following examples of vandalism of City infrastructure:</p><ul><li> <strong>Graffiti:</strong> drawing, carving, writing, engraving, painting or deliberate markings on any man-made or natural surface.</li><li> <strong>Metal theft: </strong>taps, jungle gyms in parks, outdoor gym equipment, copper pipes, fencing, benches etc.</li><li> <strong>Theft and destruction of building fixtures and equipment:</strong> doors, lights, bricks, windows, pipes, taps, geysers.</li><li> <strong>Theft and destruction of our heritage:</strong> sites, buildings and environment</li><li> <strong>Theft and destruction of other City-owned property: </strong>pavements, dustbins, bridges, railings and pathways, public toilets, grave yards, library books, desks, computers etc.</li><li> <strong>Theft and destruction of the City’s electricity infrastructure: </strong>cables, electricity boxes, substations, illegal connections and street lights.</li><li> <strong>Theft and destruction of the City’s transport and roads infrastructure: </strong>broken and missing traffic lights, traffic signs, traffic cones, destruction of bus stops and train stations, cable theft, arson, theft of drain/manhole covers etc.</li><li> <strong>Theft of the City’s water supply infrastructure: </strong>fire hydrants, water meters, and valves.</li></ul><h2 class="sectHeading">Vandalism on your property </h2> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p> The City does not respond to reports of graffiti and vandalism on private property. If your property has been vandalised then you need to report this to SAPS on <a>10111</a>.</p></div></div></span> <p>According to the City’s <a href="" target="_blank">Graffiti By-law (2010)</a>, if you own a property or you are occupying a property, it is your responsibility to ensure that the property remains free of visible graffiti on any wall, fence, building, or structure. Any graffiti on private property that can be seen by the public may be considered a public nuisance and should be reported.</p><p>Not all graffiti is illegal. You can <a href="">apply for a permit</a> from the City If you would like to paint an existing structure.</p><h2 class="sectHeading">Report vandalism</h2><p>Report vandalism <a href="" target="_blank">online<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>.</p><h4>Report vandalism to Law Enforcement</h4><p> <em>Landline: </em> <br> <em> </em> <a> <em>107</em></a><br><br><em> Cellphone:</em><br><em></em><a><em>021 480 7700</em></a></p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p> You can also report theft and vandalism of public and private property to the South African Police Service (SAPS) on <a>10111</a>.</p></div></div></span> <h4>Report vandalism of City infrastructure to the City’s Call Centre:</h4><p> <em>Telephone:<br><a>0860 103 089</a></em></p><h4>Report metal theft or provide tip-offs to the Metal Theft Unit control room:</h4><p> <em>Telephone:<br><a>0800 222 771</a></em></p><h4>Report vandalism to Heritage Management</h4><p>Report a damaged heritage site or building, or environmental damage to a Heritage Management Officer.</p><p>See our <a href="" target="_blank">District Office contact list and map</a></p><p>View a list of City facilities that offer <a href=""> free-call lines</a> for reporting.<br></p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info toptip">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Top tip</h4><p> The City has an informant reward policy that allows us to pay up to R5000 to anyone who provides information that results in the successful operational result e.g. fine or arrest. The process to initiate the reward will be done by the investigating officer in charge of the case. </p></div></div></span> GP0|#26b63546-3d00-46b6-9a69-22211d58ad38;L0|#026b63546-3d00-46b6-9a69-22211d58ad38|Report a crime;GTSet|#a7cfb90d-44ad-4426-98ce-565f79932396;GPP|#d33d4bac-828f-4051-af8d-b976c98827efIf you see or know of vandalism in your community, report it. 0





You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.