Skip to content





Apply for an administrative penalty<span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​About​​​​​​​</h2></span> <p> The City’s <a href="">Development Management Department</a> checks all building plan applications to ensure compliance with the DMS. If we identify any unauthorised building work or land use on a property, the contravention needs to be rectified.</p><h4>The property owner can rectify the contravention by:</h4><ul><li>stopping the use and demolishing the unauthorised building work; or </li><li>submitting an <a href="">application for the determination of an administrative penalty together with an application for the consideration of the required land use/departure</a>.</li></ul> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p> An administrative penalty only applies to the aspect of the building work or land use that contravenes the DMS or conditions of approval of a previous land use approval.<br></p></div></div></span> <p>The Municipal Planning Tribunal (MPT) will determine an appropriate fee for the administrative penalty application. </p><h4>To determine the fee, the MPT considers: </h4><ul><li>the behaviour of the person involved in the contravention; </li><li>the nature, duration, gravity and extent of the contravention; <br></li><li>whether the unlawful conduct was stopped; and </li><li>whether or not the person involved in the contravention has previously contravened the current planning by-law or a previous law.</li></ul> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">Submit an application​​​​​​​</h2></span><span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy light-blue bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info fastfact">​​</i></div><div class="desc"><h4>municipal planning by-law<br></h4><p> Contraventions are prescribed in terms of section 130 (5) of the <a href="">Municipal Planning-By-law (MPBL)</a>. To rectify any contravention, you must submit an administrative penalty application in terms of section 42(r) of the MPBL.<br></p></div></div></span> <p>We only accept building plans and land use applications submitted online via the <a href="">Development Application Management System (DAMS)</a>. Read our<a href="" target="_blank"> registration guidelines</a> for help registering if you do not have an account.. </p><p></p><ul><li> <strong>Step 1: </strong> Login to <a href="" target="_blank">e-Services</a>. </li><li> <strong>Step 2: </strong>Read or download the <a href="">user manual</a> and follow the steps to submit an application for the determination of an administrative penalty.</li></ul><p></p> <span> <div class="lrg-icon-content bordered"><div class="lrg-icon lrg-check"><p> <b>The following documents are mandatory to process the request:</b></p><ul><li>Motivation letter​</li><li>Plan </li><li> <a href="" target="_blank">Power of attorney</a></li><li>Title deed</li></ul></div></div></span> <h4>Categories of contraventions to which an administrative penalty does not apply:</h4><p>On 7 December 2023, Council prescribed updated categories of contraventions to which the provisions of section 130 (2) and (3) of the MPBL do not apply. </p><p> <a href="" target="_blank">View the categories</a>.</p> <h2 class="sectHeading">Contact us</h2><p>You can visit the <a href="">Development Management Department</a> for more assistance or information.</p><p>Please refer to the <a href="" target="_blank">department contact list</a> for your relevant planning office contact details.</p>GP0|#4f98ad27-0b27-4411-b4e3-5416db4deb38;L0|#04f98ad27-0b27-4411-b4e3-5416db4deb38|Land use applications;GTSet|#a7cfb90d-44ad-4426-98ce-565f79932396;GPP|#9275a209-368e-4cea-9874-8ce96591717b;GPP|#54dbab3a-0b2f-4602-8af5-3d651c59a5f4Apply for an administrative penalty to rectify building and land use contraventions.0





You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.