Skip to content





Submit a building plan<h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​​How to submit a building plan</h2> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info toptip">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>minor works</h4><p> Some renovations and extensions are considered <a href="">minor works </a>and do not need prior approval. </p></div></div></span> <h4>Register for e-Services<br></h4><p>We will only accept building plans and land use applications submitted online via our <a href="">Development Application Management System (DAMS)</a>. <br><br>See our <a href="" target="_blank">DAMS Registration Booklet</a> for guidelines on how to register, submit, and track the status of your building plans online.</p> <p>Read the <a href="" target="_blank">DAMS User Guide: Submit a Building Plan Application</a> for step-by-step assistance.<br></p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p>Most applications  (except minor works applications) may require the services of an architect registered with the <a href="" target="_blank">South African Council for Architectural Professions (SACAP)</a>. Make sure you check if your application requires this or not.<br></p></div></div></span> <p> <strong>Step 1:</strong> Ensure that your property is properly registered and that you have obtained all the prerequisite approvals – for example, permission to deviate from the zoning scheme regulations, environmental impact assessment authorisation, etc. <br> <br>See our <a href="">land use section</a> for more on this.</p><p> <strong>Step 2:</strong> Prepare to submit your application form by gathering the following documents that pertain to your property:</p><ul><li>Copy of your title deed.</li><li>Registered survey diagram from the Surveyor-General's office. A survey diagram clearly indicates the boundaries of your property or any other relevant land area.</li><li> <a href="">The correct information </a>on the zoning and development parameters or restrictions relating to your property.</li><li>Any previously <a href="">approved building plans</a> held by the City of Cape Town. </li></ul><p> <strong>Step 3: </strong><a href="">Register for e-Services</a>, if you are not already registered. <br></p><p> <strong>Step 4: </strong>Once registered, login and activate the Development Management/Building Development Management Service option. Select the 'Submit a building plan' tile under ‘Paid’ services, then follow the prompts to complete the necessary information. </p><p> This step replaces the need to complete the Building Development Application (BDM02) form. This form is no longer available to download.<br></p> <span> <div class="lrg-icon-content bordered"><div class="lrg-icon lrg-check"><p> <b>​​​​​​Depending on the nature of your application, you will need to include the following forms or documents:</b></p><ul><li>fully completed SANS 10400 forms (forms 1 and 2, if applicable)</li><li>Regulation A1(9) agreement form (if the application is not submitted by the owner, i.e. by the architect or draughtsperson)</li><li>the application fee/receipt</li><li>site plan</li><li>layout plan</li><li>drainage installation drawings (if applicable)</li><li>fire protection plans (if applicable)</li><li>structural engineer’s drawings (if applicable)</li><li>party wall consent (if applicable)</li><li>copy of the Surveyor-General’s diagram / general plan</li><li>copy of the title deed</li><li>letter of approval for any departure from the zoning scheme (if applicable)</li><li>architectural compliance certificate</li><li>consent form from your neighbour / sectional title / homeowner’s association / body corporate (if applicable)</li><li> <a href="">zoning extract (certificate)</a> (if applicable)</li></ul></div></div></span> <p>If the property belongs to more than one person, all owners must sign the application form. If the property belongs to a company, trust, closed corporation or another juristic person, the application must include a company resolution authorising the representative to sign on its behalf.</p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p> Fees are calculated according to official tariffs. Once paid, your building plan is circulated for comment to relevant City of Cape Town officials. If corrections or changes are required, the application is referred back for amendments. Building work may only begin once your plan has been approved. You have to complete the Notice of Intention to Commence Work Form, found at the bottom of the page, to notify the City’s building inspectors that work will commence. <br></p></div></div></span> <p>The City’s building inspectors will inspect the building work at three stages of construction:</p><ul><li>Intention to commence work/trench inspection</li><li>Inspection of sewer installation in accordance with the approved plan</li><li>Completion of work in accordance with the approved plan.</li></ul><p>Once all building work has been properly carried out you must apply for an <a href="">occupancy certificate</a>. The new building may only be formally occupied once an occupancy certificate has been issued.​​</p> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​​Payment​​​​​​​</h2></span> <p>We accept the following methods of payment:<br></p><ul><li> <strong>Cash, debit and/or credit card:</strong><strong> </strong>We will cover the bank cost on a cash, debit and/or credit card payment on an amount above R7000 per transaction. We absorb such costs in respect of single payments of R7000 and below.</li><li> <strong>Direct deposit at the bank:</strong><strong> </strong>Insert your payment reference number on your deposit slip​​</li><li> <strong>Electronic payments (EFT):</strong> Select the City of Cape Town as a bank listed beneficiary on your bank's website. Use your 9 - digit reference number in the beneficiary account number/ payment reference field.</li></ul> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Contact us</h2></span> <p>You can visit the <a href="">Development Management Department</a> for more assistance or information. </p><p>Please refer to the <a href="" target="_blank">department contact list</a> for your relevant planning office contact details.</p>GP0|#c2590941-842a-450f-aad2-4b4569381ade;L0|#0c2590941-842a-450f-aad2-4b4569381ade|Building plan applications;GTSet|#a7cfb90d-44ad-4426-98ce-565f79932396;GPP|#9275a209-368e-4cea-9874-8ce96591717b;GPP|#54dbab3a-0b2f-4602-8af5-3d651c59a5f4To conduct work on buildings or make alterations or extensions, you will need to submit building plans to the City. 0



Building Development Management Tariffs915918GP0|#fe9c9791-d3b1-479c-9447-8be3f4d5e139;L0|#0fe9c9791-d3b1-479c-9447-8be3f4d5e139|Budget annexure;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#6f477a30-54ff-4877-a387-889f32ddb0f9;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e;GP0|#cd8d1412-d058-4a6b-aecb-9c6bd8dbc168;L0|#0cd8d1412-d058-4a6b-aecb-9c6bd8dbc168|Tariff;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f822022-07-01T10:00:00Z
DAMS Registration Guideline742398GP0|#63522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33;L0|#063522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33|Guideline;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d3;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2019-11-03T22:00:00Z
DAMS Technical System Support Contact List233436GP0|#8c7d6035-e7ea-4e28-a6e6-082bc1988a7e;L0|#08c7d6035-e7ea-4e28-a6e6-082bc1988a7e|Contact list;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f82;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2023-03-15T22:00:00Z
DMI Series: Building Plan Preparation and Submission Guideline661911GP0|#63522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33;L0|#063522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33|Guideline;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d3;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2020-07-23T10:00:00Z
DMI Series: Making a Planning Application Guideline905697GP0|#63522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33;L0|#063522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33|Guideline;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d3;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2020-07-23T10:00:00Z
Land Use Management Tariffs895508GP0|#fe9c9791-d3b1-479c-9447-8be3f4d5e139;L0|#0fe9c9791-d3b1-479c-9447-8be3f4d5e139|Budget annexure;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#6f477a30-54ff-4877-a387-889f32ddb0f9;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e;GP0|#cd8d1412-d058-4a6b-aecb-9c6bd8dbc168;L0|#0cd8d1412-d058-4a6b-aecb-9c6bd8dbc168|Tariff;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f822022-07-01T10:00:00Z
SANS Forms Guide and Checklist (BDM 16)1776769GP0|#b3896df4-644b-4d57-8680-4e0e4a99c02e;L0|#0b3896df4-644b-4d57-8680-4e0e4a99c02e|Checklist;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f82;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e;GP0|#63522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33;L0|#063522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33|Guideline;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d32022-04-21T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.