Skip to content





Apply for a permit to display fireworks<h2 class="sectHeading">How to apply​​​​​​​</h2><h4>Before you apply, take note of the following:</h4><p>In terms of Chapter 11 of the <a href="" target="_blank">Community Safety Amendment By-law (2007)</a>:</p><ul><li>You must apply for a permit at least 14 days before the day you intend to display the fireworks. </li><li>Approval for the fireworks display will depend on compliance with all conditions. </li><li>Once you have received your permit, it must be available on your premises for inspection at all times. </li></ul><p>Fireworks must be used in approved areas only. Never use fireworks in a crowded area, and make sure that your pets and your neighbours pets have been well secured before you explode any fireworks. </p><p>Visit the <a href="" target="_blank">Western Cape Government website for fireworks safety tips<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>.</p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>events permit</h4><p>If you expect to have 200 or more people attending the fireworks display, or it requires any infrastructure build, you will also need to <a href="">apply for an events permit </a>from the City.</p></div></div></span> <h4>Follow the steps below to apply for a permit: </h4><p> <strong>Step 1:</strong> Email the South African Police Service (SAPS) at <a href=""></a> to apply for approval.</p><p> <strong>Step 2: </strong>If your application is approved by SAPS, you will receive an approval permit.</p><p> <strong>Step 3:</strong> Download and complete the <a href="">Public Fireworks Display Application Form<i class="icon link-external"></i></a></p><p> <strong>Step 4: </strong>Email your completed application form, together with your approval permit from SAPS, to <a href=""></a> </p><p>A City official will conduct a site inspection at the premises you intend to use for the fireworks display to determine if the site is safe to do so. ​</p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p> Strict conditions, in terms of the <a href="" target="_blank">Community Fire Safety By-Law</a>, have to be adhered to before and during a fireworks display to reduce any potential risk to public health and safety. Failure to comply with any of the provisions of the By-law may result in a fine or imprisonment.</p></div></div></span> <h2 class="sectHeading">Fines​​​​​​​ and offences</h2><p>The import and sale of fireworks without the necessary permissions outlined in the <a href="" target="_blank">Explosives Act of 1956<i class="icon link-external"></i></a> is illegal, as is the discharge of fireworks in an area not specifically designated for it.</p><ul><li>The sale of fireworks to a person that is not in possession of a valid permit is illegal. You cannot purchase or sell fireworks without a permit. </li><li> Make sure you only purchase fireworks from a licensed dealer. A legitimate firework dealer shop will be identifiable by the sign ‘dealer in fireworks’.</li></ul><h4>You may not explode a firework:</h4><ul><li>within 200 metres of any hospital, clinic, petrol station, old-age home, nursing home, or animal welfare organisation; </li><li>inside any building or on a public street; </li><li> in any other public place or recreational area, unless you have valid permission to do so.</li></ul><h4>The following fines are applicable, in terms of section 30 of the Explosives Act:</h4> <span> <div class="mobile-scroll">​​ <table><thead><tr><th>OFFENCE</th><th style="width:144px;">FINE AMOUNT</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td>Allowing a child or person under the age of 16 to handle fireworks without adult supervision</td><td style="width:144px;">R300</td></tr><tr><td>Selling fireworks to a child or anyone under the age of 16</td><td style="width:144px;">R300</td></tr><tr><td>Use or detonation of any fireworks in any building and/or public thoroughfare</td><td style="width:144px;">R200</td></tr></tbody></table></div>​​​</span> <h2 class="sectHeading">Report illegal fireworks</h2><p>If you have any information relating to the illegal sale or use of fireworks, report it to:</p><h4> <a href="">Public Emergency Communication Centre</a></h4><ul><li> <em> <a>107</a></em> (landline), or </li><li> <em> <a>021 480 7700</a></em> (cellphone), or </li><li>SAPS on <em> <a>10111</a></em></li></ul>GP0|#5ec8db5e-20ae-4b81-8b6d-c40ffa800bec;L0|#05ec8db5e-20ae-4b81-8b6d-c40ffa800bec|Filming and events;GTSet|#a7cfb90d-44ad-4426-98ce-565f79932396;GPP|#4fafd405-ee2c-4ec8-87ee-79828064c3d1;GPP|#54dbab3a-0b2f-4602-8af5-3d651c59a5f4If you want to display fireworks, you need to apply for a permit.



Public Fireworks Display Application Form (2022/23)233763GP0|#f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7;L0|#0f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7|Application form;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f82;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2022-06-30T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.