Skip to content





Apply to deregister (scrap) your motor vehicle<h2 class="sectHeading">How to apply​​​​​​​</h2><p>Only the registered owner of a vehicle may apply to deregister that vehicle, and only for the following reasons:</p><ul><li>The vehicle was stolen</li><li>The vehicle has been declared permanently unfit to be on a public road</li><li></li><li>The vehicle is going to be demolished (only if instructed by SAPS)</li></ul> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p> You should deregister your vehicle immediately to avoid penalties and arrears once the licence expires.<br></p></div></div></span> <p> <strong>Step 1: </strong>Download and complete the <a href="" target="_blank">Deregistration of Vehicle Application Form</a>, listed at the bottom of the page.</p><h4> Include the following with your application:</h4><ul><li>Acceptable identification from you and the vehicle owner (if applicable)</li><li>Original vehicle registration certificate (if lost, you can <a href="">apply for a dupliace certificate</a>.)</li><li>Letter of permission from the vehicle owner (if applicable)</li><li>South African Police Service case number (for theft)</li></ul><p> <strong>Step 2: </strong>Submit your completed form and supporting documents at your nearest <a href="">Motor Vehicle Registration Centre</a>.</p><p>The cost will depend on the expiry date of your licence. If your licence is valid, there will be no cost. If your licence is expired, you will need to pay one month arrears and a penalty fee for every month after the expiry date.</p><p>All arrears must be paid in full before deregistration can take place.</p><p> <strong>Step 3:</strong> Once the deregistration has been processed and you have received a deregistration certificate you can <a href="">apply for a refund of licensing fees</a>.</p><h2 class="sectHeading">Contact us</h2><h4>City Call Centre</h4><p> <em>Telephone:</em><br><em></em><a><em>0860 103 089</em></a><br><br><em>Email:</em><br><em></em><em><a href=""></a></em></p><h4>Western Cape Government Contact Centre</h4><p> <em>Telephone:<br><a>0860 212 414</a></em></p>GP0|#c6262b03-de2e-4afb-a302-1f8b76bf2536;L0|#0c6262b03-de2e-4afb-a302-1f8b76bf2536|Driving and vehicles;GTSet|#a7cfb90d-44ad-4426-98ce-565f79932396;GPP|#4fafd405-ee2c-4ec8-87ee-79828064c3d1;GPP|#54dbab3a-0b2f-4602-8af5-3d651c59a5f4Apply to have your motor vehicle deregistered if it has been stolen, or deemed permanently unfit for the road. 0



Deregistration of Motor Vehicle Application Form31649GP0|#f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7;L0|#0f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7|Application form;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f82;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2018-12-31T22:00:00Z
Verification (Proof of Address and Personal Particulars) Document Guideline187182GP0|#63522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33;L0|#063522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33|Guideline;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d3;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2020-08-31T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.