Skip to content





Apply for a Request for Police Clearance (RPC) certificate<h2 class="sectHeading">When should I apply? </h2><h4>You will need to apply for a RPC certificate if:</h4><ul><li>ownership of the vehicle has changed,</li><li>the engine has been replaced,</li><li>your vehicle was reported as stolen and then recovered,</li><li>the engine or chassis number differs from the number on the registration certificate (even if it is only by one digit),</li><li>the previous owner of the vehicle did not supply you with the necessary documentation,</li><li>the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) has been updated,</li><li>you are exporting or importing vehicles, or</li><li>you are crossing the border permanently - some countries may require a police clearance to confirm that you are not driving a stolen vehicle.</li></ul> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​How to apply​​​​​​​</h2></span> <ol><li> <strong>Step 1: </strong>Download and complete the <a href="" target="_blank">Request for Police Clearance (RPC) Application Form</a> from the document downloads section below.</li><li> <strong>Step 2: </strong>Submit the form together with supporting documentation at your nearest <a href="">Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) Centre</a>.</li></ol><h4> Documents to submit with your RPC application form:</h4><ul><li>Identity Document (ID)</li><li>Registration document (Owner)</li><li>Letter of permission from the owner (if done on behalf of the owner by someone else)</li><li>New Owner – proof of purchase/affidavit (A new owner must record chassis, register/license number and make of vehicle)</li><li> <a href="" target="_blank">Acceptable proof of address</a></li></ul><h4> The police clearance process works as follows:</h4><ol><li> <strong>Step 1: </strong>Once you have completed and submitted your RPC application form at your local MVR centre, you will receive a RPC document.<br><br> Amendments to the National Road Traffic Act in 2012 made it compulsory for all newly registered motor vehicles and those motor vehicles that require a PCC to be <a href="" target="_blank">microdotted<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>. </li><li> <strong>Step 2:</strong> If your vehicle has not been microdotted, visit your nearest microdot fitment centre and present your vehicle along with the RPC document you received from the MVR centre. Once your microdot has been fitted, you will receive a Microdot Certificate.</li><li> <strong>Step 3: </strong>Take your vehicle, your RPC document and your Microdot Certificate to your nearest Police Clearance Unit where the clearance procedure will be completed. Make sure that the Clearance Officer completes the necessary sections of the RPC document.</li><li> <strong>Step 4: </strong>Once the clearance procedure has been completed you will need to return to the MVR centre where you first submitted your RPC application and submit your completed RPC document together with your registration document. Your clearance status will then be updated.</li></ol> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p> The process involves numerous parties that are not affiliated with or managed by the City of Cape Town. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this page, the City cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies. </p></div></div></span> <h2 class="sectHeading">Contact us</h2><p>Vehicle clearance can be obtained at your closest Police Clearance Unit/Office in Cape Town:</p><h4>Bellville South Police Clearance Unit</h4><p>5 Osbourne Street, Bellville South<br><br> <em>Telephone:<br> <a>021 905 1120</a></em></p><h4>Stikland Police Clearance Unit</h4><p>Cnr La Belle Road and Watt Street, Stikland<br><br> <em>Telephone:<br> <a>021 945 3898</a></em></p><h4>City Call Centre<br></h4><p> <em>Telephone:<br><a>0860 103 089</a><br><br> Email:<br><a href=""></a></em></p><p>You can also visit your nearest <a href="">Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR)</a> Centre for more information.</p>GP0|#c6262b03-de2e-4afb-a302-1f8b76bf2536;L0|#0c6262b03-de2e-4afb-a302-1f8b76bf2536|Driving and vehicles;GTSet|#a7cfb90d-44ad-4426-98ce-565f79932396;GPP|#4fafd405-ee2c-4ec8-87ee-79828064c3d1;GPP|#54dbab3a-0b2f-4602-8af5-3d651c59a5f4You need a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) for some vehicle-related processes. 0



Request for Police Clearance (RPC) Certificate Application Form18946GP0|#f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7;L0|#0f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7|Application form;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f82;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2018-12-31T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.