Skip to content





Apply for a business licence<h2 class="sectHeading">​​When to apply</h2><p>A business licence is required for health and entertainment businesses that:</p><ul><li>provide ​turkish baths, saunas or other types of baths​;</li><li>provide massage and/or infra-red treatment;</li><li>provide the ​​​services of an escort;</li><li>keep three or more mechanical, electronic or electrical devices (coin-operated gaming appliances);</li><li>​​keep three or more snooker or billiard tables;</li><li>keep or conduct a nightclub or discotheque;</li><li>keep or conduct a cinema or theatre; or</li><li>conduct an adult premises in terms of <a href="" target="_blank">Section 24 of the Films and Publications Act, 1996<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>.</li></ul> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p> <b></b>There are three categories of business which dictate the price you pay for your licence.</p><p> <strong><br>Category 1:</strong> Sale and supply of meals — R25<br><strong>Category 2:</strong> Health and entertainment — R25<br><strong>Category 3:</strong> Hawking meals — R10</p></div></div></span><span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​How to apply</h2> <p> <strong>Step 1:</strong> Download and complete the Business Licence Application form, which you can find in the document downloads section below.</p> <p> <strong>​​Step 2:</strong> The following completed forms may be required when applying for a non-hawker business licence:​​​​</p> <ul><li>A  <a href="">Land Use Clearance Certificate</a>.</li><li>A <a href="">Population and Clearance Certificate</a> which is obtained after a <a href="">fire inspection</a>.</li><li>A copy of an <a href="">approved building plan</a> of the interior of the premises.</li><li>A <a href="">Certificate of Occupancy</a>.</li><li>An application for <a href="">Certificate of Acceptability</a>.</li></ul> <p>When you are applying for a health and entertainment licence, a <a href="" target="_blank">SAPS Clearance Certificate <i class="icon link-external"></i></a>will be required. This can be applied for at your nearest SAPS station.</p> <p>For adult film business operations, please include a clearance issued by the <a href="" target="_blank">Film & Publications Board​<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>.</p> <span> <div class="lrg-icon-content bordered"><div class="lrg-icon lrg-check"><p> <b>​​​​​​You will also need:</b></p><ul><li>a certified copy of the business owner’s ID​</li><li>a certified copy of the managing director or main staff member’s ID</li></ul></div></div></span> <p> </p> <p> <strong>Step 3:</strong> Hand your documents in to the nearest <a href="" target="_blank">Environmental Health Office</a>. You will be issued with a printed instruction to make a cash payment for the licence.</p> <p> <strong>​​Step 4:</strong> Visit any of our cash offices to make the payment.</p> <p> <strong>​​Step 5:</strong> Take the receipt from that payment back to the <a href="" target="_blank">Environmental Health Office</a>. Your information will then be captured electronically and submitted, along with your forms, to the relevant parties for comment.</p> <p> <strong>Step 6:</strong> Once comment has been provided, we will contact you about whether or not your application was accepted or rejected.</p> <p>If you comply with all the requirements, you will be issued with a licence. If you do not comply, you can apply for a 14-day grace period to make the necessary changes to your premises so that they meet the requirements.</p> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">Contact us</h2></span> <p> <em>Telephone:</em><br><em><a>0860 103 089</a></em></p></span>GP0|#fe449635-7a0f-4bda-acd0-69ce5e06d157;L0|#0fe449635-7a0f-4bda-acd0-69ce5e06d157|Business and trade;GTSet|#a7cfb90d-44ad-4426-98ce-565f79932396;GPP|#4fafd405-ee2c-4ec8-87ee-79828064c3d1;GPP|#54dbab3a-0b2f-4602-8af5-3d651c59a5f4In order to operate your business lawfully, you are required to acquire a business licence from the City of Cape Town.0



Business Licence Application Form1397733GP0|#f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7;L0|#0f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7|Application form;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f82;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2016-12-31T22:00:00Z
Population Certificate Application Form188588GP0|#f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7;L0|#0f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7|Application form;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f82;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2019-06-03T22:00:00Z
Requirements for Small-scale Embedded Generation803805GP0|#63522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33;L0|#063522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33|Guideline;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d3;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2024-04-21T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.