Skip to content





Apply to keep animals<span> <h2 class="sectHeading">Applications</h2> <p>This application process is for dogs, cats, poultry and horses. It also applies for livestock, although applications to keep livestock will only be considered if the property for which the permit is required is larger than 4 000 square metres. You will also need to <a href="">submit building plans</a> for the stables which will house the animals. </p> <h4>If you are keeping poultry, the structures that accommodate them shall not come within:</h4> <ul><li>1,5 metres of any boundary of a residential erf, and </li><li>1,5 metres from any dwelling, inhabited outbuilding and shop or building where food is processed, sold or stored. </li></ul> <h4>If you are keeping animals, the structures that accommodate them shall not come within:</h4> <ul><li>1,5 metres of any boundary of a residential erf; </li><li>6 metres of any boundary of the erf that adjoins any road or public open space; or </li><li>4,5 metres from any dwelling, servants quarters, inhabited outbuilding and shop or building where food is processed.</li></ul> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info toptip">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Register your pets</h4><p> Our <a href="" target="_blank">Animal Keeping By-law </a>specifies how many pets you can own based on the size of your property. All residents are required to <a href="">register their pets</a>, so the City can monitor and control Cape Town’s animal population.</p></div></div></span> <h2 class="sectHeading">How to apply </h2></span> <p> <strong>Step 1: </strong>Download and complete the Keeping of Animals and Poultry Application Form at the bottom of the page. </p><p> <strong>Step 2:</strong> Attach a detailed, fully-dimensional site plan of all storage sites, proposed structures and boundary fences on the property for which the permit is required.</p><p> <strong>Step 3: </strong>Submit your form and all attached documents to your health sub-district office.</p> <span> <div class="lrg-icon-content bordered"><div class="lrg-icon lrg-check"><p> <b>​​​​​​Also attach to your application: </b></p><ul><li>a certified copy of your ID; and</li><li>proof of address.</li></ul></div></div></span> <p> <strong>Step 4:</strong>The City will contact you pending the outcome of your application and may request a site inspection of the premises for which the permit is required, to ensure that they meet all compliances and approvals.</p> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">Contact us</h2> <h4>City Health Department</h4> <p> <em>Telephone: <br><a>021 400 2103</a><br><br> Email: <br><a href=""></a></em></p></span>GP0|#fe449635-7a0f-4bda-acd0-69ce5e06d157;L0|#0fe449635-7a0f-4bda-acd0-69ce5e06d157|Business and trade;GTSet|#a7cfb90d-44ad-4426-98ce-565f79932396;GPP|#4fafd405-ee2c-4ec8-87ee-79828064c3d1;GPP|#54dbab3a-0b2f-4602-8af5-3d651c59a5f4;GP0|#4d1fab8b-d022-4074-a995-4c76430a2fba;L0|#04d1fab8b-d022-4074-a995-4c76430a2fba|Environmental health;GPP|#4812481a-e1c9-4a5d-8990-614cee8d7692To keep more than the allowed number of animals on your property, you have to apply for an animal permit.0



Keeping Animals and Poultry Application Form24018GP0|#f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7;L0|#0f0b069a9-84bd-4629-943b-3e3dfa0685a7|Application form;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#3a03f9b9-d2e9-49b1-92e1-37b654747f82;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2003-05-31T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.