Skip to content





How to register your business<h2 class="sectHeading">​Register your business with the CIPC</h2><p>It is not necessary for all businesses to be registered – for example, if you have an informal business or are a sole proprietor. However, new businesses that want to transact with the government and the formal sector must register with the <a href="" target="_blank">Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC)​​<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>. This is to ensure that you are legally compliant and audited for tax, as well as offering other benefits. </p><h2 class="sectHeading">Search your company name</h2><p>You can search for your company name on the <a href="" target="_blank">CIPC search​ facility<i class="icon link-external"></i></a> to check if the name already exists. You will still need to apply for the company name once you know it is available.</p><h2 class="sectHeading">Register your trademark</h2><p>A company name and a trademark are not the same thing. Your trademark is not automatically registered if you register a company name. Your trademark is the brand that you use to identify your product or service. This may also be your slogan or your symbol. It is a good idea to register your trademark if you want to avoid any legal battles over the name of your company.</p><p>You can find everything you need to know about your trademark, patent, design or copyright on the <a href="" target="_blank">CPIC’s website<i class="icon link-external"></i></a>.</p> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Your new business and SARS​​​​​</h2></span> <p>​​It is important for you to understand revenue rules and regulations, as well as ensuring your business is set up to pay business taxes including UIF (unemployment insurance). Consult the <a href="" target="_blank">South African Revenue Service<i class="icon link-external"></i></a> (SARS) for more information on what you need to do. If you intend to become a VAT vendor, you can <a href="" target="_blank">register for VAT<i class="icon link-external"></i></a> with SARS as well.</p><p>Read the <a href="" target="_blank">vendor guide</a> for more information.</p> <span> <h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Register a NPO or PBO</h2></span> <p>Setting up a non-profit organisation (NPO) or public benefit organisation requires the same process as setting up a commercial company. The Western Cape Government’s <a href="" target="_blank"> Department of Social Development<i class="icon link-external"></i></a> (DSD) provides institutional support for NPOs, runs workshops on registration and achieving compliance, fundraising, and capacity building etc. </p><p>If you have an NPO and you’re looking for support, call the DSD NPO helpline on <em> <a>021 481 9754</a></em>. Alternatively, find out <a href="" target="_blank"> all you need to know about registering an NPO<i class="icon link-external"></i></a> on the Western Cape Government website.</p><h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Register with the Central Suppliers Database</h2><p>There are many options to do business with the City. Business owners and entrepreneurs are required to register as a supplier in order to capitalise on these options. The registration process is a two phase process.</p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading white-copy yellow bg-darker-grey"><div class="graphic"> <i class="info citycard">​​</i></div><div class="desc"><h4>City Connect</h4><p> <a href="">Register as a supplier</a></p></div></div></span> <h2 class="sectHeading">Legal trading and business premises</h2><p> If you are trading on a formal property, your business licence will only be granted if the erf/plot you are trading on has been zoned for the type of trade you are conducting. </p> <span> <div class="notification with-heading white-copy yellow bg-darker-grey"><div class="graphic"> <i class="info citycard">​​</i></div><div class="desc"><h4>City Connect</h4><p> <a href="">Apply for a business licence</a></p></div></div></span>GP0|#6b1e46a2-a994-44cd-8e5f-62abacee9e5e;L0|#06b1e46a2-a994-44cd-8e5f-62abacee9e5e|How to register your business;GTSet|#ef3a64a2-d764-44bc-9d69-3a63d3fadea1;GPP|#be37894f-e5da-4b67-8127-0263d3de57a3;GPP|#ce2f744d-a7d0-4f70-9e09-6cef4e0b7eb4;GPP|#e88ff549-973f-4e3c-a46c-cfbe61bd6a24How you register your business, the licences and permits you will need to apply for, and associated legislation.



Finance Business Supplier Guidelines317254GP0|#63522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33;L0|#063522a5c-a6fd-40ae-a313-2b363ab1ec33|Guideline;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d3;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2015-12-31T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.