Skip to content





Pay your traffic fine<h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​​​Pay on or before due date​​​​​</h2> <span> <div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>covid-19 advisory</h4><p>For more information about traffic and vehicle-related procedures during the lockdown, read our <a href="" target="_blank">COVID-19 Lockdown Transport Department FAQs</a> or watch our <a href="" target="_blank">Q&A video</a><i class="icon link-external"></i>.</p></div></div></span> <div class="mobile-scroll"><table> <caption>Different types of fines</caption> <thead><tr><th>Section 56 Notice:</th><th>Section 341 Traffic Ticket:</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td>You have 30 days to pay your fine before your case goes to court. You will need to attend court on the appointed date - which will be within four months.</td><td>You have 30 days to pay before a 'notice of summons' is issued, after which you have a further 30 days to pay before a summons with a court date is sent to you. <br></td></tr></tbody></table></div>​​​ <p> To avoid facing legal action, it is recommended that you pay your traffic fine on or before the due date, using any of the following methods.</p><div class="lrg-icon-content bordered"><div class="lrg-icon lrg-check"><p> <b>You will need:</b></p><ul><li>fine notice number</li><li>ID number</li></ul></div></div><p>You can pay your fine online via:</p><ul><li> <a href="" target="_blank">Paycity<i class="icon link-external"></i></a></li></ul><p>You can also pay your fine using online banking. Please contact your bank directly for assistance or advice.</p><p>Fine payments can also be made through ATMs. Contact your bank directly for assistance, or visit the bank’s website for more information.</p><p>You can pay your fine in person at any one of the following locations:</p><ul><li> <a href="">Any City cash office</a> (cash, debit/credit cards and postal orders)</li><li>City of Cape Town traffic centres (cash, debit/credit cards and postal orders)</li><li> <a href="">City of Cape Town municipal courts</a></li><li>Selected Spar (Kwikpay) stores</li></ul><p>View a list of our Traffic Centres below:<br>  </p><table><thead><tr><th>DLTC</th><th>Address</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td> <a href="">Brackenfell</a></td><td>Cnr Reservoir and Kruispad Roads, Brackenfell</td></tr><tr><td> <a href="">Durbanville</a></td><td>93B De Villiers Avenue, Durbanville</td></tr><tr><td> <a href="">Fish Hoek</a></td><td>Central Circle, Fish Hoek</td></tr><tr><td> <a href="">Gallows Hill</a></td><td>Somerset Road, Green Point</td></tr><tr><td> <a href="">Hillstar</a></td><td>Plantation Road, Wetton</td></tr><tr><td> <a href="">Kuils River</a></td><td>Fabriek Street, Kuilsriver</td></tr><tr><td> <a href="">Milnerton</a></td><td>William Penn Drive, Milnerton</td></tr></tbody></table> <br> <p>You can post your fine payment to the City using the following address:</p><p> <em>Cape Town Traffic Department</em><br><em>Private Bag X19</em><br>Vlaeberg<br><em>8018</em></p><div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>payment for parking tickets (pink slips)</h4><p> Payment for a parking ticket (pink slip) can only be made once it has been captured on the system - approximately 6-8 weeks after the date of issue. Alternatively, you can take your fine to <a href="">Gallow's Hill Traffic Department</a> to be captured and you can also pay the fine at the same time.</p></div></div><h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​Pay past due date​​​​​</h2><p>If you have missed your fine payment date, or have been issued with a notice, you can pay your fine before your court date using the following options.</p><ul><li> <strong>Option 1: </strong>You can pay your fine at any of the <a href="" target="_blank">municipal courts</a> or traffic centres throughout the City.</li><li> <strong>Option 2:</strong> You can pay through postal order.</li><li> <strong>Option 3:</strong> You can also settle your fine at the court stated on the summons.</li></ul><h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​Pay in summons stage​​​​​​​</h2><p>If you have been issued with a summons for not paying your fine, but would like to pay it before your court date, you can only pay your fine in one of the following two ways.</p><ul><li> <strong>Option 1: </strong>You can pay your fine at the municipal courts, but only at the specific location stated on your summons.</li><li> <strong>Option 2:</strong> If your fine is overdue, or in the summons stage, you can pay it at any municipal court or traffic department.</li></ul><h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​Dispute your fine​​​​​​</h2><p>If you do not pay your fine because you intend to contest it, you must appear in court on the day specified in your summons to argue your case.</p><p>You can send a representation to the Traffic Department to dispute your fine. Alternatively, you can contact the Public Prosecutor directly at the court that appears on your fine. If you have received summons you should contact the Public Prosecutor before the date you are due to appear in court.</p><div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>important</h4><p> You can only send representations for first and second notices. Summons' and warrants need to be dealt with at the relevant municipal court. </p></div></div><h4>Representations</h4><p>If you have a query or you feel that you were unfairly charged for an offence, you have the right to make a written representation to the Traffic Department. </p><div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info toptip">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>parking tickets (Pink slips)</h4><p> Representation for parking tickets can only be made once the fine has been captured on the system – this takes approximately 6-8 weeks after the date of issue. Alternatively, you can take your fine to <a href="">Gallow's Hill Traffic Department </a>to be captured and you can then submit your representation on the same day.</p></div></div><p> <strong>You may submit a written representation for any of the following reasons:</strong></p><ul><li></li><li>It was a duplicate motor vehicle registration number </li><li>Error due to administrative procedure </li><li>Request for a reduction of the fine amount </li><li>Request for withdrawal of fine, due to circumstances </li><li>The fine was received more than 30 days after the date of the offence </li><li>The traffic officer was unfair and unreasonable</li><li>Unreasonable traffic fine amount</li></ul><p>Fax or email your representations, including a copy of your fine to:</p><p> <strong>Attention: Traffic Manager </strong> <br> <br><em>Fax number:<br><a>086 293 8189 </a><br><br>Email:<br><a href=""></a> </em></p><div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p> It takes 10-12 weeks for a representation to be captured. When your representation is received, all proceedings on that fine will be withheld until a decision is made.</p></div></div><p>If you are unhappy about the Prosecutor's decision, you can present the matter at the <a href="">municipal court</a> on the date of your trial.</p><p>If you wrote a letter on a summons, you must still appear in court. </p><h2 class="sectHeading">Redirection (change of driver's details)</h2><p>If you were not the person driving the vehicle when the fine was issued you can apply to have it redirected to the correct person. </p><div class="notification with-heading dark-copy pink bg-light-grey"><div class="graphic with-border"> <i class="info note">​​​</i> </div><div class="desc"><h4>Please note</h4><p> You must change and submit the offender's details before the court date on your first or second notice. If you have already received a summons then you will only be able to change the details at court on the day of your trial. </p> <b> </b></div> <b> </b></div> <strong> </strong> <p> <strong>Follow the process below to apply for a redirection:</strong></p><ul><li>Complete the offender's details in the space provided on the Section 341 (first notice), or on the Notice Before Summons (second notice) - at the back of the fine; or </li><li>send a letter of redirection.</li><li>If it was a rental vehicle, a copy of the contract must be included as proof of who hired and was driving the vehicle at the time of the offence. </li></ul><p>Send the offender's details or a letter of redirection and supporting documents (if applicable) to <a href=""> <em></em></a></p><h2 class="sectHeading">​​​​​​​​Contact us</h2><p> To query the status of your fine or find out if you have any outstanding fines contact our call centre during office hours: </p><h4>Traffic fine enquiries:</h4><p>Monday - Friday:<br>08:00 - 15:30</p><h4>City Call Centre</h4><div class="contact"><address><ul><li>Telephone: <br> <a>0860 103 089</a></li></ul></address></div>GP0|#63dbbb25-ad48-46c4-b304-5e48277004e9;L0|#063dbbb25-ad48-46c4-b304-5e48277004e9|Fines;GTSet|#a7cfb90d-44ad-4426-98ce-565f79932396;GPP|#abce9b62-2f7e-4ac7-aaef-e28f6f8b550e;GPP|#d36c9e28-9810-4cff-bcbb-7a6f41899a5dThe City of Cape Town provides different ways to pay your fine, whether online or over the counter.



Basket of Services Pamphlet824796GP0|#367c7831-4239-4ad6-824a-c4325897c033;L0|#0367c7831-4239-4ad6-824a-c4325897c033|Pamphlet;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#5340fe0b-73a7-472c-bef7-04e450fb5c4f;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2019-10-23T22:00:00Z
COVID-19 National Lockdown Transport Department FAQs314394GP0|#7d9df7be-4d49-4007-95e2-153219f9c783;L0|#07d9df7be-4d49-4007-95e2-153219f9c783|FAQs;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#d8892104-ce90-493e-b813-93c488f4b1d3;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2020-07-07T22:00:00Z
Traffic and Speed Camera Policy157201GP0|#ecf0e702-25db-4c12-bbc2-be85db2304fd;L0|#0ecf0e702-25db-4c12-bbc2-be85db2304fd|Policy;GTSet|#f1e8889f-f7d7-4d5b-a3f5-af0ca2e076ea;GPP|#2d2209ac-5bcc-4d2a-9da9-05fb21c94ea1;GPP|#0972c695-fd19-46c4-ab5d-9601f17b780e2018-07-25T22:00:00Z



You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.