View MPT resolution details
MPT North Eastern
Agenda item no
WARD 10: APPLICATION FOR CONSOLIDATION AND CONSENT USE IN TERMS OF ITEMS 42(f) and 42(i) OF THE MUNICIPAL PLANNING BY-LAW, 2015: ERVEN 3388, 3402, 3404, 23121, 23122 PAROW, 94 WYNNE STREET, AVONDALE, PAROW. ID:70487911
J JACOBS/D SMIT
Tuesday, June 09, 2020
Friday, June 12, 2020
a. The application for consent use in respect of Erven 3388, 3402, 3404, 23121, 23122 Parow, for a warehouse BE REFUSED in terms of Section 98(c) of the Municipal Planning By-law, 2015.
b. The application for consolidation in respect of Erven 3388, 3402, 3404, 23121, 23122 Parow, BE APPROVED in terms of Section 98(c) of the Municipal Planning By-law, 2015, subject to the conditions contained in Annexure A.
REASONS FOR DECISION:
The MPT partially REFUSED and partially APPROVED the application for the reasons set out below:
Reasons for the recommended decision for refusal relating to the application for the consent use may be summarized as follows:
1. The use of the property for a warehouse is not desirable and appropriate in this location
2. The proposed warehouse structure is viewed to be in conflict with Council’s Urban Design Policy, 2013 and does not promote the development of a vibrant and pedestrian friendly Activity Street.
3. The creation of a blank façade with warehouse-like structure on Voortrekker Road is viewed to be out of character with surrounding development.
4. The creation of the blank façade on Voortrekker Road will have an adverse impact on the safety of the streetscape and does not promote surveillance thereof.
5. The proposal is not compliant with all the desirability criteria in terms of Section 99 of the Municipal Planning By-Law, 2015, specifically the criteria of compatibility and socio-economic impact
6. The use of the site for a warehouse and its related activities and will have a negative impact on the residential component in Wynne Street.
7. The building is not in line with the character of the Street
Reasons for the recommended decision for approval relating to the application for consolidation may be summarized as follows:
1. The proposal for consolidation of Erven 3388, 3402, 3404, 23121, 23122 Parow does not negatively impact any existing engineering services, safety and security, heritage aspects and biophysical considerations in terms of the surrounding area as all properties are already zoned for General Business 4 use.
2. The proposal for consolidation will also not have an adverse impact in terms of massing of buildings as all properties are already zoned for General Business 4 purposes that allows for buildings to be erected on common and street boundaries with a permissible bulk factor of 3.
ACTION: J JACOBS / T KOTZE