Skip to content

Search

Menu

 

 

City’s Operation Restore hits the road<p>The City of Cape Town this morning took its first bite at Operation Restore – a week-long, city-wide initiative in response to ongoing complaints about reckless behaviour and disregard for the rules of the road in the public transport industry.</p><p>The City’s Traffic Service, supported by Metro Police, Law Enforcement, and the South African Police Service (SAPS) launched the operation along the N2 between the R300 and M5. Officers arrested three suspects for outstanding warrants, served 29 warrants, and released three suspects on a warning. They also issued 42 fines for illegal use of the bus and minibus-taxi (BMT) lane and 1 062 fines for various other offences.</p><p>‘We do this kind of enforcement on a daily basis, but Operation Restore is an integrated and focused blitz that we roll out every few months. So I would advise public transport operators to toe the line, settle outstanding fines, and ensure that their operating permits are in order or risk a very rude awakening in the next few days. Let me remind the rest of the motoring public that while this operation focuses on the public transport industry, they are not off the hook and we’ll be keeping an eye on their behaviour too,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security; and Social Services, Alderman JP Smith.</p><p>In other enforcement operations by the City’s Traffic Service in the last week, officers arrested 88 motorists: 53 for outstanding warrants, 1 for reckless and negligent driving, and 34 for driving under the influence of alcohol. They also impounded 36 vehicles and issued 1 074 fines for various offences.</p><p>The Metro Police Department meanwhile arrested 45 suspects, including 12 for drunk driving, 25 for possession of drugs, and 5 for possession of possible stolen property. Officers confiscated various quantities of dagga, tik and mandrax, R9 914 in cash, and two flat-screen television sets.</p><p>The Metro Police Gang and Drug Task Team also rounded up three suspects in Hanover Park who were wanted on various charges. On Saturday 25 March 2017, the Metro Police Gang and Drug Task Team received information about a wanted suspect hiding out in Hanover Park. They followed up and found the man, who was wanted in connection with a case of vehicle theft in Strandfontein dating back to August 2015. Officers also rounded up another suspect, wanted in connection with a case of housebreaking in Diep River, also dating back to August 2015. Later the same day, officers received a tip-off – this time about a suspect wanted on a charge of murder. They found him in Hanover Park and arrested the 24-year-old, who is also a known gunman. </p><p>‘We cannot emphasise enough how important the cooperation of the public is in fighting crime. People often know far more than they let on and while I understand that many fear retribution, the reality is that, as Edmund Burke said, evil will triumph if good people do nothing. We’ve proven time and again that where information is made available, Metro Police will follow up and take action if need be. So I appeal to the public to work with us in bringing criminals to book,’ added Alderman Smith. </p><p><br><strong>End</strong></p>2017-03-26T22:00:00ZGP0|#1d539e44-7c8c-4646-887d-386dc1d95d70;L0|#01d539e44-7c8c-4646-887d-386dc1d95d70|City news;GTSet|#62efe227-07aa-45e7-944c-ceebacca891dGP0|#98a4302c-cb76-45ae-a026-7ea6efb26c4d;L0|#098a4302c-cb76-45ae-a026-7ea6efb26c4d|Operation Restore;GTSet|#2e3de6c1-9951-4747-8f53-470629a399bb;GP0|#386e6d11-1c73-4d63-9956-3cc3eab4415f;L0|#0386e6d11-1c73-4d63-9956-3cc3eab4415f|public transport;GP0|#0a05754f-8fb9-4f7d-bdb4-eeab6f79cb3f;L0|#00a05754f-8fb9-4f7d-bdb4-eeab6f79cb3f|Gang and Drug Task Team1

You have disabled JavaScript on your browser.
Please enable it in order to use City online applications.