The City's Social Development Department creates opportunities for individuals and communities to meet their developmental needs so that they can become resilient and self-reliant. This in turn enables them to participate in the local, national and global environments.
The Social Development Department consists of two branches: Social Development Facilitation and Arts & Culture.
Our vision is for a dynamic and creative city where an enabling environment for sustainable development exists, diversity is celebrated and people enjoy an improved quality of life.
We, through our Social Development Facilitation and Arts & Culture branches aim to achieve the following:
- Develop and implement integrated strategic development plans that seek to address the plight of the most marginalised and vulnerable sections of society.
- Foster the design of social and cultural environments that optimise people’s development, performance and well-being.
- Enable communities to be proactive and engaged in development, governance and societal issues that have an impact on their development.
- Enable communities to take initiative and contribute meaningfully to joint planning, decision-making, implementation as well as monitoring and evaluation.
- Contribute towards building social cohesion.
- Enrich community life by encouraging, integrating and supporting the development of Arts & Culture, and recognising the importance it has to tourism and the local economy.
- Building the human resource capacity and expertise within the department to deliver effective services.
For an Overview of the Social Development Department click here.
For the Social Development Business Plan click here.
For the Social Development Communication Strategy click here.