|Address: 19 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town CBD
|Opening hours: Daily from 07:30 to 20:30 in summer (Dec - Feb) |
|Daily from 07:00 to 19:00 in winter |
|Size: 8 hectares |
|Entrance: Free |
|View in Google map |
The Company’s Garden is situated in Queen Victoria Street, at the top of Adderley Street, and adjacent to the South African Parliament. It takes its name from the Dutch East India Company who first started the garden in 1652 for the victualing of their ships that plied the spice trade route between Europe and the East Indies, via The Cape of Good Hope.
The Company’s Garden is abutted by numerous important landmarks, including the lodge house for the slaves who built large parts of the historic city, the present day Houses of Parliament, the Iziko South African Museum and Planetarium, St George's Cathedral (which is the seat of the Anglican church in South Africa), the National Library of South Africa, the South African National Gallery, the Great Synagogue and Holocaust Centre as well as Tuynhuys, which is used by the President on state occasions.
The public section of the garden has been enjoyed by visitors for the sheer beauty of its flora and the allure of its historic setting since it was proclaimed for public use in 1848.
The many features include:
- The oldest cultivated pear tree in South Africa, estimated to have been planted in 1652
- Historic statues and a sundial dated 1781 in the centre of the garden
- A well dating from 1842 with a hand-pump embedded in an oak tree next to it, which is still connected to the well by an underground pipe. It is a symbol of the significance of water from Table Mountain and the origin of the garden
- A memorial slave-bell which is actually the old fire-alarm bell from the original town hall in Greenmarket Square. The bell itself dates back to 1855
- A rose garden designed and built in 1929
- A vegetable garden designed and built in 2014
- Delville Wood Memorial Garden, designed in 1929 by Sir Herbert Baker, commemorates the World War 1 battle at Delville Wood in France, in which a predominantly South African force of more than 3 000 soldiers was reduced to 755 survivors by German forces
- A Japanese theme garden with a stone Japanese lantern donated by the Japanese Ambassador in 1932
- Colourful bedding displays
- Water features
- A koi fishpond
- An aviary with a variety of birds
- Botanically and historically valuable trees
- A herb garden
- A rockery garden
- A Visitors’ Centre and Information Office which houses a pictorial history of the Company’s Garden
- Grassed area
- Public toilets
- Footpaths / tracks
- Fenced off / enclosed area
Visitors can go on a self-guided walk through the Garden with the aid of a brochure which can be purchased at the Visitors’ Centre, or downloaded below. Wayfinding markers are placed in the paving in certain areas.
Cover pages, index (436kb)
Pages 1 - 5 (1.3mb)
Pages 6 - 19 (2.8mb)
Pages 20 -32 (3.5mb)
Map (2 pages, 2.8mb)
Conservation and development
The Company’s Garden is a provincial heritage site and like all things organic, it is a dynamic entity, always growing and developing.
City Parks, in consultation with landscape architects and heritage professionals have developed a master plan to ensure that the garden will continue to grow and develop into the 21st century while maintaining its historical character. The master plan, officially known as The Company’s Garden Policy Framework and Action Plan, contains a thoroughly researched history and landscape architecture of the Company’s Garden and makes detailed recommendations regarding areas that require improvement, whilst simultaneously setting parameters to conserve its historical integrity.
Since the document’s acceptance by Council, City Parks has implemented many of these recommendations.
The landscape character of the Company’s Garden is what makes it a unique historical garden. The Dutch ‘baroque kitchen-garden’ grid style was later overlaid by the Victorian ‘romantic / pleasure-garden’ style which was popularised in the mid 18th century by the great English landscape architects of the time.
All new landscaping work is kept in the character of the Victorian period to conserve the heritage of this important historical garden.
Two historical buildings situated in the Garden were renovated in 2008 to restore their heritage character, and as interesting architectural features in the Company’s Garden. These are The Bothy, which is situated in the lower portion of the garden near the National Library, and the other was the old Directors’ House which is now the new Visitors’ Centre situated near the restaurant.
The renovations to the two buildings include new paving surrounds designed to be historically typical of the Victorian period and the adjacent landscaping highlights their period character.
1. Renovation of The Bothy
Built in the 1850’s this is the oldest building in the Company’s Garden. The word ‘Bothy’ derives from an old Scottish term meaning ‘booth’ - a term referring to workers’ quarters.
This old house has had many uses throughout its history, such as the gardener’s quarters, curator's house, seed store and National Library committee room. Renovations were completed during 2008 and the house has been restored to its former charm on the basis of old drawings found by the City of Cape Town’s Heritage Resources Department.
New plantings and a new pathway were laid. The pathway reconnects the historical sinuous path which was laid in Victorian times.
2. Renovation of the Director’s House
The Director’s House is a fine example of Victorian architecture. It was formerly the residence of the curator of the Company's Garden and thereafter the residence of the director of City Parks.
Gaps in the historical sinuous pathway near the Director’s House were also re-connected with new paving to complete the winding, historical layout of this path.
3. The Visitors Centre
The Director’s House has become the new Visitors’ Centre and Information Office. The Visitors’ Centre consists of four rooms in the Victorian house which chronologically follow the development and history of The Company’s Garden from its origins through each major period, until the present day. The display is mostly pictorial and gives an excellent overview of the significance and importance of this historical garden.
4. Wayfinding signage
New wayfinding signage has been installed at the five main entrances to the Company’s Garden. These signs show the garden layout as well as the surrounding precinct so visitors can orientate themselves and get a picture of the historical nature of the area.
Granite paving stones are laid in the pathways in certain areas which show the relevant place names and reference numbers relating to the numbers on the map in the brochure, as well as on the sign-boards. Information relating to the particular place can be found in the Self-Guided Walk Brochure.
5. The Paddocks pathways and landscape
The Paddocks is an oak-wooded open area with lawns adjacent to the National Art Gallery and was originally a Victorian menagerie for various forms of indigenous wildlife including small and large antelope and zebra. In later times it was used as paddocks for government horses, and this is where it obtained its name.
The intersecting pathways have been renewed with ochre-coloured brick paving, in keeping with its rural character and design principle.
The circular area at the centre of the Paddocks used to house a bandstand in the late 19th century. This was demolished in 1934 and was planted with Pin Oaks in 1937 to commemorate the coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. The clay-laterite hard surface that was reminiscent of the time, was recently re-surfaced using the same material.
Much of the landscaping surrounding the Paddocks has been renewed and the lawns given careful attention so that visitors can relax and enjoy a picnic on well maintained turf-grass.
This is the area of the Garden used for the hosting of events and functions, and bookings can be made by contacting the manager.
6. The Lions’ Gate
In Victorian times, lions were kept in the grounds of what is now Cape Town High School. The gates for the original lions’ enclosure remain as portals on either side of the upper end of Government Avenue. Due to weathering and age the Lion’s Gate was showing signs of structural decay and was recently repaired by a skilled restorer.
7. The Delville Wood Memorial area
The paving at the axis of the Delville Wood Memorial area has been renewed. The new paving links the two sections of the memorial area and creates a visual flow to the Paddocks.
8. The Aviary
The Aviary, located in the centre of the garden near the restaurant, which was built in the 1930’s to replace an older structure, was in need of a facelift and improvement. To effect this, consultations with city architects, landscape architects, heritage professionals and horticultural managers were initiated.
The historical design and facades of the original Aviary were kept but the interior and mesh panels were completely renovated. New water-features, structural supports and panels were re-built and installed as well as tiered plant bed containers built and landscaped. The Aviary is populated by various finches, canaries, doves and quails. The water features are planted with aquatic plants and goldfish and koi add colourful interest.
9. Government Avenue
In 2011 Government Avenue was upgraded as part of the Non-motorised Transport Network development in greater Cape Town. This thoroughfare is a legislated pedestrian walkway and is one of the institutions of Cape Town.
When Simon Van Der Stel arrived as Governor in 1679 he made many improvements to the garden, one of these was widening the original walkway through the middle of the original garden layout to the dimensions we know today as Government Avenue. Before it was planted as an oak-lined avenue it was bordered with orange and lemon trees.
In 2011 new paving designs were laid at the several entrances to the garden along the avenue which create a ‘sense of entry’ and improve on the grey cement pavers laid in the 1970’s. New edging was laid along the entire length of the avenue using historical granite bricks gained from excavations of old cobble roads in Lower Loop Street. Twenty-five new benches were installed along the top end of the avenue to replace the aged concrete-ended benches. All the existing paving was re-levelled where necessary so walking along this ancient promenade is safe for the public.
10. Historic gates and fences
Historic cast-iron gates at three entrances to the garden were renewed by a specialist heritage restoration company, as well as many of the cast-iron fence panels which had been damaged by fallen trees.
11. The Public Toilets
This fanciful neo-gothic building in the lower end of the garden had a complete interior renovation in 2011.
The recent renovations were completed in collaboration with the City of Cape Town’s Heritage Resources Department and the provincial Western Cape Heritage Department.
Cape Town made a number of significant improvements to prepare for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™. As the “green heart of Cape Town,” it attracted many visitors, and the projects in 2009 and 2010 took that into account.
City Parks would like to create the conditions for more public participation in the Company’s Garden by involving them in new projects. The garden is a vital part of Cape Town’s character and the very reason why the city originally developed. It is a National Heritage site and with further funding has the potential to become another World Heritage site, giving Cape Town the unique honour of having three World Heritage sites in one city - Robben Island, Table Mountain and the Company’s Garden. More...
The garden was formally established in 1652 by Dutch settlers who sought to establish a station at the Cape of Good Hope to service and re-provision spice-trading sailing ships on the long sea route to the East.
Cape Town's earliest records show that the Garden was originally divided into rectangular fields protected by high trimmed myrtle windbreaks, and watered via a system of open irrigation furrows fed by the area's numerous mountain streams. The design was typical Dutch agricultural practice of the time, apart from the furrows, which had been adapted to suit the region's topography and weather. More...
Manager: Rory Phelan
Tel: 021 426 1357/1218/1768
Address: 19 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town
(at the top of Adderley Street)