List of accolades
- Second Best Beach City, Lonely Planet’s Ten Best Beach Cities 2011
An announcement by Lonely Planet, one of the world’s leading multifaceted travel resources, of their choice of the World’s Ten Best Beach Cities listed Cape Town as second best amongst cities such as Rio de Janeiro, Sydney and Miami. They described Cape Town as ‘good-looking, fun-loving, sporty and sociable’.
- Top City in Africa and the Middle East - Condé Naste Readers’ Travel Awards 2010
- One of the World’s Top 20 Cities - Condé Naste Readers’ Travel Awards 2010
The Condé Nast Readers’ Travel Awards celebrate the best the travel world has to offer - from cities and islands to hotels and tour operators - as voted for by Condé Naste Travel readers. Cape Town has been voted as the 13th Top City in the World.
- Africa’s Leading Destination, 2010 World Travel Awards
The Annual World Travel Awards aim to acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence across all sectors of the global travel and tourism industry. In July 2010 Cape Town was ranked as Africa’s Leading Destination for the third year running.
- TripAdvisor Traveller’s Choice Awards 2010
TripAdvisor is the world’s largest travel review site and a trusted source in the global tourism industry. In 2010 they have named Cape Town:
- Twenty Fifth in the 25 Best Destinations in the World
- First in the Top 25 Destinations in Africa category
- Sixth as Top 25 Destinations in the World chosen by Europeans
- Sixth again as Top 10 Beach & Sun Destinations in Africa
- Second as Top 10 Culture & Sightseeing Destinations in Africa
- Fourth as Top 10 Outdoor & Adventure Destinations in Africa; and last but not least
- Second as the Top 10 Food & Wine Destinations in the World (Western Cape).
- 6th Top City for Men 2010, Askmen.com
Each year, the world’s favourite website for men, Askmen.com, profiles the best cities worldwide for men to live, work and play in. Their formula takes into consideration the weather, outdoor activities on offer, the amount of professional opportunities and the cost of living, nightlife and dating. In 2010 Cape Town was named their top sixth city on their list of Top 29 Cities for Men 2010.
- Top Ten Ethical Destinations in the World 2010, Ethical Traveler
Annually, Ethical Traveler (www.ethicaltraveler.org), a web-based international alliance of travellers that aims to unite all tourists and tourism operators in the fight for world-wide sustainability and conscientious travelling, reviews developing countries across the globe that are working to protect human rights, build social welfare, and preserve the environment. South Africa has recently been heralded as being one of the Top Ten Ethical Destinations in the World for 2010.
- Best Holiday Destination Ever, Heat magazine
heat magazine’s summer holiday survey took place at the beginning of January 2010 when readers took part in voting for their favourite holiday destination, amongst other questions. As voted for by South African’s themselves, Cape Town came out tops and was voted Best Holiday Destination Ever.
- One of the World’s Most Beautiful Cities, Forbes
Surveying city specialists from a range of fields such as urban planning, architecture and sustainable development Forbes went in search of the world’s most beautiful city. Cape Town was announced as one of the top ten due to its open spaces, aesthetic appeal and “manageable size”, leaving a minimal ecological footprint as a result.
- Skyscanners 33rd most searched for destination for 2010 – www.skyscanner.net
Each year www.skyscanner.net, a popular website for searching and comparing flights, hotels and car hire across the world, releases information on the top 50 destinations searched for by UK residents. 2009 searches for travel in 2010 reveals that Cape Town was the 33rd most searched for destination by Britons.
- British Airways Top Ten List for 2010
Each year British Airways compiles a table of long-haul destinations it considers the top choices for UK holidaymakers for the following year. Major sporting, cultural and entertainment events, as well as emerging travel trends influence the ratings.
With the 2010 FIFA World Cup taking place in South Africa, Cape Town is expected to be the most popular destination for foreigners – and thus, has been predicted to be one of British Airways Top Ten Destinations for 2010.
- One of the World’s Top 10 Party Cities, 2009 Lonely Planet’s 1000 Ultimate Experiences
With 1000 Ultimate Experiences, Lonely Planet, the world’s leading travel authority, has brought together 1000 ideas, places and activities to inspire and entertain travellers.
- New Home of The Loerie Awards 2009 – 2014
The Loerie Awards were first held in 1978 as a platform to support television advertising but has since grown to include every area of brand communication including radio and print advertising, architecture, design, video, live events, direct marketing and digital media. The awards have attained its status by recognizing, rewarding and fostering creative excellence and nurturing potential, especially in disadvantaged communities.
- Best Destination, Virgin Holidays Responsible Tourism Awards 2009
Nominations are received from all over the world for organisations and cities making a real difference to local communities and the environment. This year Cape Town was voted as Best Destination.
- Blue Flag beach status
Blue Flag is an international annual award given to beaches that meet excellence in the areas of safety, amenities, cleanliness, and environmental management. In South Africa, the programme is run by the Wildlife and Environment Society of South Africa in partnership with local authorities. Cape Town’s Blue Flag beaches include: Big Bay, Bloubergstrand; Clifton 4th beach; Camps Bay beach; Muizenberg beach; Strandfontein beach; Mnandi beach and Bikini beach in Gordon’s Bay.
- Second favourite overseas city – Guardian, UK
The Guardian’s results of their Travel Awards 2009, where readers of the newspaper and website vote for their favourite destination, saw Cape Town selected as the second most favourite overseas city. The Guardian is one of the UK’s leading newspapers and reputable news sources.
- 27th Best City for Men to Live in - Askmen.com 2009
AskMen.com ran its first “guide to greener pastures” in 2009 – The Top 29: Best Cities to Live In. The editorial team chose the best cities by applying a statistical formula to eight lifestyle categories and then evaluating the results (taking into account ongoing global recession influences).
- World's Number Two City – Travel+Leisure magazine July 2009
Travel+Leisure Magazine – one of the world’s leading travel magazines - ran their 14th annual World’s Best poll in 2009, where readers of the magazine rate the world’s best cities, islands, hotels, cruises and airlines. This year readers opted for more exotic destinations where Cape Town finished one place up from 2008, in second place.
- World's Best Incentive Destination - Conference & Incentive Travel magazine October 2009
The Conference & Incentive Travel Hot List 2009 was designed by Conference & Incentive Travel magazine to celebrate the best destinations and venues for events across 12 categories and was voted for by readers. Over 400 event planners across the globe voted over an eight-week period and at the end of voting Cape Town was selected as best Incentive Destination for 2009.
- World's Best Entertainment/Lifestyle Destination - Luxury Travel Awards April 2009
The 2009 Luxury Travel Awards were part of the greater International Luxury Travel Exhibition that took place in Switzerland in April. The awards looked at identifying destinations with great potential in the luxury travel sector.
- Best Tourism Investor City of the Year - AI Tourism Investor Awards 2009
Africa Investor is a pan-African investment group that hosts an annual Tourism Investor Awards event. All entrants are judged on the basis of vital financial indicators, the sustainability of projects and value added contributions. All entrants were of significant international competition and Cape Town was chosen as AI’s first ever Best Tourism Investor City - emerging as the ultimate leader in the tourism industry world-wide.
- Best Destination, Africa - World Travel Awards 2008
The Annual World Travel Awards aim to acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence across all sectors of the global travel and tourism industry. In 2008 Cape Town was ranked as Africa’s Leading Destination.
- 3rd Best City In The World - US Travel And Leisure July 2008
- Best City In Africa & Middle East - US Travel And Leisure July 2008, 2009
In 2008 Travel+Leisure Magazine ran their 13th annual World’s Best poll and Cape Town finished in third place.
- 4th Top City In The World – Conde Nast Readers’ Choice October 2008
- Best City In Africa & Middle East – Conde Nast Readers’ Choice October 2008
An International poll run by publishers, Conde Nast, where readers participate in a ‘Readers’s Choice Survey’. In 2008 over 32,000 Condé Nast Traveler readers voted in this survey leaving Cape Town as 4th Top City in the World and the Best City in Africa and the Middle East.
- 3rd Best City In The Top 10 World Food Cities - Lonely Planet Blue List 2008
The third edition of Lonely Planet’s popular Bluelist book published in 2008 named Cape Town as the third best city in the Top 10 World Food Cities.
- One Of The World’s Most Sustainable Cities - Ethisphere Institute, Sept 2008
The Ethisphere Institute chose 2008 to name their 10 leading cities they call “2020 Global Sustainability Centres” as they try to create awareness around developing and implementing sustainability plans globally. The cities they chose were large, economically significant cities with long-term sustainable plans and judging weighted several economic, cultural and environmental factors.
- One Of The “Places Of A Lifetime” – National Geographic Traveler July 2008
Since 1999 National Geographic Traveler has showcased 50 of the world's top destinations each year – according to National Geographic these are places that every curious traveler should visit in a lifetime.
- Best City To Live In, Africa & Middle East - Mercer Quality Of Living Survey 2008
Mercer is a trusted HR and related financial advisory company. Mercer’s Quality of Living ranking covers cities across the world and is conducted to help governments and major companies place employees on international assignments.
- Favourite World City, UK Telegraph November 2008
In 2008 the Telegraph readers’ voted Cape Town one of their favourite cities in the world during the annual Telegraph Travel Awards.
- Awards from previous years:
- Boulder’s Beach: World’s Best Family Beach - UK Telegraph March 2007
- Cleanest City In SA - DEAT Annual Cleanest Metro Awards March 2007
- #1 UK Long Haul Destination - UK Trends And Spends Survey 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007
- One Of The World’s 5 Bluest Sky Destinations - Expedia.co.uk July 2006
- Favourite Foreign City - UK Telegraph 2004, 2005
- Ideal Travel Destination - Markinor-Sunday Times Top Brands Survey 2005