Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Motor vehicle licensing and registration
Skip Navigation LinksCity of Cape Town > English > Vehicle licensing > FAQs

Which City MVR licensing office is the right one for me?

If you live within the City's boundaries, you may register and licence your vehicle at any of our MVR offices. To check whether you do (or don't!), please consult our map. If you reside outside of these boundaries, please approach the relevant municipality for your vehicle licensing and registration needs.

What is 'acceptable identification'?

'Acceptable identification' is any one of the following:

  • RSA Identity document (Identification Act 68 of 1997)
  • Temporary Identity document (only if valid)
  • Traffic Register Number certificate
  • RSA driving licence card (only if valid)
  • RSA passport (only if valid)

How do I tell if my vehicle licence is due for renewal?

The Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) posts renewal notices approximately six weeks before your vehicle licence is due for renewal. However, the onus is still on you, as the owner of the vehicle, to check and ensure that your licence renewal is due as we cannot guarantee the delivery of the renewal notice.

Failure to renew a vehicle licence results in serious penalties: as by law, unlicensed vehicles may not be used on public roads.

My address has changed. How do I notify the City?

You need to complete a Notification of Change of Address or Particulars of Person or Organisation (NCP) form in full and submit it, along with the acceptable identification of the registered owner or proxy/representative in the case of a body of persons to a City MVR office.

What do I do when my financed vehicle has been paid in full?

Financed vehicles are registered with the financial institution as titleholder and their client as the owner. As only the registered titleholder is allowed to sell or dispose of a financed vehicle, you are therefore required to re-register yourself as the titleholder and owner once your vehicle has been paid for in full. You will need the following to do so:

A fee is charged for vehicle re-registration (details obtainable from your nearest City MVR office).

Change of ownership: selling a vehicle

When you sell your vehicle, ensure that you are the registered titleholder by checking your original certificate of registration. You also need to check that your vehicle licence is valid at the time of sale (by checking your disc, which should be on your windscreen). Once you have done so, ensure that you record the identity number of the buyer directly from their acceptable identification. You will then need to bring a completed Notification of Change of Ownership/Sale of Motor Vehicle (NCO) form in person to your nearest MVR office. Ensure that you submit this in full and in person as the vehicle remains your responsibility until you notify one of our MVR offices of the sale.

Scrapping your vehicle is not a means to notify the City of the change of ownership or sale of your vehicle.

How do I inform the City if I change the colour of my vehicle?

If the colour of your vehicle differs from the colour recorded on eNaTIS, please inform your nearest City MVR office by completing and signing a Change of Particulars of/Notice in respect of Motor Vehicle (CNV) form.

What is a Request for Police Clearance (RPC) form?

Your vehicle may need to go for a police clearance for any of the following reasons:

  • its engine has been replaced
  • you have been referred by a vehicle testing station
  • the engine differs to what is on record
  • the vehicle has been reported as stolen, or it has a duplicate chassis/engine number

An RPC form is printed from eNaTIS by a City MVR office and is required by the police clearance centre to verify the vehicle’s record. To obtain one, you will need the vehicle’s particulars (its licence number or VIN/chassis number or register number, all of which are obtainable from its certificate of registration) and acceptable identification. You will also need to state why the vehicle needs police clearance. Once you have a RPC form, take it and the vehicle to the police clearance centre with your South African identity document.

I have been advised to keep my certificate of registration in a safe place. Why?

  • Your certificate of registration serves as proof of ownership for your vehicle
  • Your vehicle’s particulars such as the VIN/chassis, engine and register numbers can be found on the certificate of registration
  • If your vehicle is financed by a financial institution, the original certificate of registration will be kept by the financial institution until the account has been settled
  • When selling your vehicle, you must supply the buyer with the original certificate of registration identifying you as the titleholder and owner of the vehicle

How do I apply for a duplicate certificate of registration?

The entity registered as the titleholder of a vehicle on eNaTIS must apply for a duplicate certificate of registration in person.

Requirements for a natural person:

Requirements for a body of persons:

A fee is charged for a duplicate certificate of registration (details obtainable from your nearest City MRV office).

When should I de-register my vehicle?

Only the registered titleholder on eNaTIS has the right to de-register a vehicle. You should de-register your vehicle as stolen if it has been stolen and not recovered or if you have been advised to do so by your insurance company.

You should de-register your vehicle as unfit for use on a public road if you no longer intend to continue using it because it is in a poor condition or are advised to do so by your insurance company.

Documents required:

  • The original certificate of registration
  • Acceptable identification of the titleholder (or proxy/representative if the titleholder is a body of persons)
  • A letter of permission giving the bearer authority to de-register the vehicle (with the reason for de-registration) on the titleholder's behalf (if the transaction is not made by the titleholder in person)
  • Acceptable identification of the bearer
  • The SAPS case number (for de-registration as stolen)

Please note that scrapping pertains to the condition of your vehicle and is therefore not an acceptable means of notifying the City that its ownership has changed, or that it has been sold.

What is a special permit?

A special permit allows you to use an unlicensed vehicle on a public road for a pre-defined purpose e.g. taking your vehicle for a roadworthy test, police clearance, to and from a place of repair and suchlike. It is valid for three days from the date of issue.

Strictly no passengers are allowed in a vehicle driving with a special permit.

The requirements to apply for a three day special permit are:

Only three special permits per entity (a person or body of persons) per vehicle are permitted at any one time. Special permits require the payment of a fee (contact your nearest City MVR office for details).

How do I apply for a personalised/discreet number plate?

Applications for personalised number plates (e.g. JOHN-WP) or discreet number plates (e.g. CA123) must be made at the Provincial Administration of the Western Cape (PAWC).

They can be contacted on 0860 212 414.

How do I change my address on eNaTIS?

Notification of Change of Address or Particulars of Person or Organisation (form NCP) form must be completed in full and submitted with the acceptable identification of the registered owner or proxy/representative in the case of a body of persons to your nearest City MVR office.

What documents do I need to introduce a company on e-NaTIS?

How do I apply for a traffic register number?

Individuals (natural persons) must submit the following documents to their nearest City MVR office:

A body of persons requires the following documents:

    © City of Cape Town, 2016