The City of Cape Town is calling upon interested parties to comment on the draft Broader Tygervalley Urban Design Framework.
In 2011 property owners and their consultants working in the Tygervalley Precinct identified a need for a bigger and more detailed vision for the Tygervalley area – to inform their future development plans and to ensure that individual development plans complement one another in a manner that will ensure the ongoing success and growth of the precinct as a whole.
In response the City initiated the preparation of an Urban Design Framework for the broader Tygervalley precinct in order to contribute to further realising the broader Tygervalley precinct’s role as a commercial, retail and recreational hub.
The draft framework is deliberately flexible in order to accommodate a range and mix of development options associated with the redevelopment of several key sites in the area.
The framework provides a view on the qualities of the environment that are desired in the longer term with the main focus being a set of proposed design guidelines to support the creation of a more pedestrian oriented, CBD-type urban environment.
The three main ideas presented for engagement relate to:
- supporting the experience of a green landscaped environment along the Elsieskraal river and associated Carl Cronje Drive “Parkway,” which accommodates pedestrians, cars, public transport and cyclists
- encouraging the emergence of a new central pedestrian spine, which will eventually link the Tygervalley Shopping Centre to existing and future developments to the south. This will
- comprise pedestrian walkways, public squares and may include commercial areas
promoting the continued development of Willie van Schoor Drive and Durban Road as intense mixed use urban areas
The draft policy is available for perusal at:
- District planning office: Kraaifontein Administrative Building, Brighton Road, Kraaifontein
- De Grendel Subcouncil offices (Goodwood)
- Tygervalley Centre Library
Interested parties are further invited to attend an open house:
Date: 05 September 2012
Time: 15:00 – 19:00
Venue: Bellville Stadium VIP Room
Interested parties are requested to submit their comments in writing between 31 August 2012 and 1 October 2012 via: