The City of Cape Town is gearing up for Mandela Day on Sunday, 18 July, which is also former President Mandela’s 92nd birthday.
The United Nations has declared Madiba’s date of birth, 18 July, as Nelson Mandela International Day. On this day people from across the globe will come together to serve their respective communities in honour of South Africa’s beloved former president, Nelson Mandela. The date was established to inspire people from every corner of the world to embrace the values that have been embodied in Nelson Mandela’s life- democracy, equality, reconciliation, diversity, responsibility, respect and freedom.
The Mandela Day campaign message is simple: Nelson Mandela has given 67 years of his life fighting for the rights of humanity. Let us all support this initiative and give 67 minutes of our time, whether it’s supporting your chosen charity or serving your local community, for instance by dishing out food at your local soup kitchen, collecting clothing for disadvantaged communities, visiting an old age home or orphanage or assisting a local NGO.
Mandela Day programme in Khayelitsha
Veteran Hollywood movie star, Morgan Freeman will lead a group of celebrity motorcyclists in revamping a community health centre in Khayelitsha in support of Mandela Day this Sunday.
The entourage of 20 bikers and eight support vehicles set off from Johannesburg on 13 July, en route to Cape Town. Along the way, they have been stopping over at various towns to work for at least 67 minutes on community projects in each region.
On their arrival in Cape Town on Sunday, they will be welcomed by the Premier of the Western Cape, Helen Zille, and Executive Mayor Dan Plato at Khayelitsha. There they will help erect a security fence at the SACLA centre, which is a joint initiative by AIDS Response, a support organisation for community care workers, and SACLA, a community-based care organisation.
The other 19 celebrity bikers taking part in the five day tour are:
- Ramon Changuion, off road tutor and member of the CMA
- Jack Devnarain, who stars as Rajesh on Isidingo
- Jan du Toit, legendary off road motorcyclist/trainer
- Hanna Grobler, Survivor SA contestant
- Darren Kelfkens, producer and former Egoli actor
- Sithembiso Khoza, prominent businessman
- James Kilbourn, Radio OFM presenter
- Zelda la Grange, Nelson Mandela Foundation
- Jacqui Mansfield, award winning writer
- Jeremy Mansfield, former Highveld Stereo anchor
- Lori McCreary, film producer (Invictus)
- Paul ‘Rudeboy' Mnisi, former YFM presenter
- Louis Pepler, (Bok van Blerk), award winning singer
- Bertus Prinsloo, owner of Outdoor Medical
- Grant Roberts, actor
- Lehlohonolo Saint Seseli, actor on Scandal and motorcycling columnist
- Sean Shipalana, owner of SA’s first black owned Harley Davidson dealership
- Constant Visser, businessman
- Ivan Zimmerman, singer and actor