1. Get your card
Get a myconnect card for R23 from MyCiTi station kiosks or participating retailers and load it with money for travel. You will need cash to both get your card and load money.
There is a fee of 2.5%(minimum R1.50) of the amount loaded at MyCiTi station kiosks and 3.5%(minimum R1.50) of the amount loaded at participating retailers. The load fee is only charged when you load money onto your card, and not when you tap to enter a station or bus. For more information about load fees click here.
You will be given a receipt for your myconnect card. If you stop using MyCiTi or leave Cape Town, take your myconnect card and receipt to a MyCiTi station kiosk to have the money you paid for the card refunded.
Please read the MyCiTi rules before getting a myconnect card. By accepting a card, you accept the rules. The full set of rules and terms and conditions for using the card are available at station kiosks and on the website by clicking here.
2. TAP IN and TAP OUT
You must TAP IN when you enter the MyCiTi system and TAP OUT when you leave.
You will be charged a R5.30 boarding fare when you TAP IN and the balance of the fare, if applicable, when you TAP OUT.
- All MyCITi stations have been fitted with access gates with validators. Hold your card against the validator and the gates will open.
- If you board at a bus stop, you will see a validator marked IN when enter the bus. Hold your card against the validator to start your journey.
- You will be charged a R5.30 boarding fare (or R57) if you are travelling from the Airport).
- At a MyCiTi station hold your card against the validator to open the access gates and leave the station.
- Before you get out at a bus stop, hold your card against the validator marked OUT to end your journey.
- You will be charged the balance of your fare, if your total fare is more than the boarding fare.
You will be charged a R16 penalty fare (R65 on the Airport route):
- If you fail to TAP IN or TAP OUT
- If you TAP IN using the OUT validator when you board a bus or you TAP OUT using the IN validator when you leave the bus. If you do not correct this immediately by tapping on the correct validator, you will be charged a further penalty fare the next time you use the system.
You will also be charged a penalty fare if you do not have enough money on your card to cover your entire fare. This will happen if your card has enough money for your R5.30 boarding fare when you TAP IN but not enough for the remainder of your fare when you TAP OUT. Check the validator for your balance. When you see LOW BALANCE, top up urgently.
You may be charged the penalty fare the next time you use your card.
Fare evaders may be prosecuted and charged a penalty fare of up to R210.
If you suspect that you have been charged incorrectly for travel, you can complete an appeal form
and we will investigate. Download the appeal form
, fill it in and submit it along with the requested support documents by fax to 021 812 4644, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or by post to TIC, Transport Management Centre, Hugo Street, Goodwood.
3. Top up your card
Remember to top up your myconnect card at MyCiTi station kiosks, participating retailers or selected cash-accepting ATMs to ensure you always have enough money on your card to travel. You will need to enter your PIN number to top up.
Absa bank customers can load money directly from their bank card to their myconnect card at any Absa ATM, for immediate use. Absa customers can also load money via internet banking although you still need to visit an Absa ATM or MyCiTi station kiosk to have the money transferred to your myconnect card. Click here for more information about myconnect services available to Absa customers.
There is a fee of 2.5%(minimum R1.50) of the amount loaded at MyCiTi station kiosks, cash-accepting ATMs and Absa internet banking, and 3.5%(minimum R1.50) of the amount loaded at participating retailers. The load fee is only charged when you load money onto your card, and not when you tap to enter a station or bus.
Passengers with other cards can top up at the bank or service provider that issued the card. Find out from your bank or service provider regarding their load fees.
You can check your balance:
- At a MyCiTi station kiosk. (enter your PIN number first)
- At any Absa ATM, regardless of which bank you are a customer of.
- Ask a station conductor to check your balance before you tap your card. This is the only instance in which you don’t need a PIN number. (You cannot check your balance on a bus.)
- When there is less than R20 on your card, you will hear two beeps after you tap your card. This means the transaction was successful, but that you need to top up.