NO. 781 / 2012
17 SEPTEMBER 2012
City of Cape Town Traffic Officers arrested 93 suspects during operations focused on drunk driving and general enforcement this weekend.
On Friday 14 September 2012, City Traffic Officers arrested nine motorists on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol during roadblocks along Nooiensfontein and Belhar Main Road in Kuils River. Also on Friday evening, officers arrested 34 drunk drivers and issued 137 traffic fines during roadblocks in Woodstock and Langa.
The following offences were recorded during speed enforcement operations:
- 240 speeding offences on Jan Smuts Drive, between Lawson Road and Kromboom Parkway (the highest speed was 184km/h in a 60km/h zone)
- 305 speeding offences on Jan Smuts Drive at 12th Avenue (the highest speed was 152km/h in a 60km/h zone)
- 16 speeding offences on Klipfontein Road, between Calendula Road and Belgravia Road (the highest speed was 134km/h in a 60km/h zone)
- 225 speeding offences on Klipfontein Road, between Jan Smuts Drive and the M5 (the highest speed was 132km/h in a 60km/h zone)
On Sunday morning 16 September 2012, roadblocks were held on the N1 outgoing at Joostenbergvlakte as well as on the N2 at Broadlands in Somerset West. There have been growing concerns about the increase in the vehicles either not displaying registration plates or displaying false/incorrect registration plates, as well as unregistered and unroadworthy vehicles – especially on the major routes. Officers arrested one motorist for using a fraudulent driver’s licence, suspended 22 vehicles for mechanical defects, and issued 183 traffic fines, including:
- 64 fines to unlicensed drivers
- 42 fines for unlicensed motor vehicles
- 40 fines for failing to display registration plates
Also on Sunday afternoon, officers arrested 23 motorists on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol at a roadblock in Koeberg Road, Milnerton (the highest breathalyser test registered at 1,27mg of alcohol per 1 000ml of breath). Another 27 drunk drivers were arrested in Washington Drive, Langa (with the highest breathalyser test registered at 1,52mg of alcohol per 1 000ml of breath).
In addition, a further 37 traffic fines were issued and 160 speeding offences recorded along Old Darling Road, between Philadelphia and Rygersdal Road in Atlantis.
Integrated Strategic Communication and Branding Department, City of Cape Town
Inspector Maxine Jordaan
City of Cape Town
Tel: 021 812 4571 Cell: 072 621 0101
For any other enquiries:
Alderman J.P. Smith, Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security
City of Cape Town
Tel: 021 400 1311 Cell: 083 675 3780, E-mail: Jean-Pierre.Smith@capetown.gov.za