The world's biggest soccer event is almost here and if you don’t have a ticket, ‘no problem!’ You can still enjoy the thrill of the game, live via a big screen in the company of thousands of other fans, at the Oliver Tambo public viewing area/fan ‘jol’ (Afrikaans word for ‘party’).
Like the three other fan jols that the City has set up for the benefit of fans who don’t have tickets, the Oliver Tambo fan jol will be open on all Cape Town Stadium match days, all Bafana Bafana match days, knock-out games (Round/16), the quarter finals, the semi finals and the finals.
Live entertainers will also perform on stage, giving revellers a taste of Cape Town's talent. Tickets may be purchased for seats in the upper level of the venue, which will also feature a bar. These will be priced at R50. VIPs may wish to use the specially designated VIP area, also in the upper level. VIP benefits include a bar (which offers the first three drinks free of charge), lounge seats, a waiter service, separate, secure parking and entrance into the hall. There will be a 20m² screen located outside for people who cannot be accommodated inside. Besides the soccer, this will show the live performances.
If you have children, bring them with! There is a daily children’s programme from 11:00 – 13:00 on match days, which includes five-a-side football, face painting, magic shows and more. (Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.) There'll also be plenty of South African themed food stalls, a flaming vuvuzela, and arts and crafts stalls from which to buy World Cup memorabilia.
|Fast facts |
||Oliver Tambo Community Hall, Landsdowne Road, Khayelitsha |
||4 000 (indoor and outdoor)|
||11:00 - 23:00|
|What’s on offer:
||Besides the soccer, there’s free, fabulous entertainment for all ages and tastes, including stilt walkers and magicians|
||Information kiosks, first aid (two ambulances on the grounds), disabled access (two entrances into the building - one into the upper area and the other at the bottom), disabled parking|
|What to bring:
||Umbrellas, team shirts and lots of team spirit! |
To ensure the smooth functioning of the fan jol, security will be strict.
- No weapons, bottles, cups, jugs or cans
- No recording of sound, images or footage other than for private use
- No alcohol or drugs, no racist or xenophobic material e.g. t shirts or flags
- No banners or flags larger than 2 meters x 1.5 meters
- No promotional or commercial material
- No relieving of oneself other than in the toilets or littering
- No gas spray cans, corrosives or anything that could cause fire
- No fireworks
- No standing on seats
- No excessive noise, megaphones, hooters or gas power horns
- Vuvuzelas allowed
- No selling of goods or tickets
- No animals
- Transmitting or broadcasting of sound, pictures, descriptions or results of the events via the internet or other forms of media
- No objects which could compromise public safety
All children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.