The worlds’ biggest soccer event is almost here and if you don’t have a ticket, ‘no problem!’ You can still enjoy the thrill of the game, live via a big screen in the company of thousands of other fans, at the Vygieskraal public viewing area/fan ‘jol’ (Afrikaans word for ‘party’).
Like the three other fan jols that the City has set up for the benefit of fans who don’t have tickets, the Vygieskraal fan jol will be open on all Cape Town Stadium match days, all Bafana Bafana match days, the quarter finals, the semi finals and the finals.
Some of South Africa’s best entertainers will also perform on stage to add to the party atmosphere, including Claire Philips and Johnathan Rubain.
If you have children, bring them with! There is a daily children’s programme from 11:00 – 13:00 on match days, which includes five-a-side football, face painting, magic shows and more. (Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.) There'll also be plenty of South African themed food stalls, and arts and crafts stalls from which to buy World Cup memorabilia.
||Vygieskraal Stadium, Johnston Road, Athlone |
||2 500 (grandstand); 5 000 - 7 500 (on the field)|
|What’s on offer:
||Besides the soccer, there’s free, fabulous entertainment for all ages and tastes|
||11:00 - 23:00 |
||ATMs, information kiosks, first aid, disabled access, reserved seating on the grandstand and parking, a 6 metre high flaming vuvuzela |
|What to bring:
||Umbrellas, team shirts and lots of team spirit! |
To ensure that the fan jol is safe, there will be 265 security personnel on duty. People will be searched on entry.
- No weapons, bottles, cups, jugs or cans
- No recording of sound, images or footage other than for private use
- No alcohol or drugs, no racist or xenophobic material e.g. t shirts or flags
- No banners or flags larger than 2 meters x 1.5 meters
- No promotional or commercial material
- No relieving of oneself other than in the toilets or littering
- No gas spray cans, corrosives or anything that could cause fire
- No fireworks
- No standing on seats
- No excessive noise, megaphones, hooters or gas power horns
- Vuvuzelas allowed
- No selling of goods or tickets
- No animals
- Transmitting or broadcasting of sound, pictures, descriptions or results of the events via the internet or other forms of media
- No objects which could compromise public safety
All children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.