EE Friends is an informal network of individuals and organisations involved in Environmental Education (EE) in and around the city of Cape Town.
- EE Friends was established in March 2000 to strengthen the environmental education network in Cape Town.
- Membership has grown steadily over the years and there are currently over 300 individual or organisational members on the e-mailing list.
- We meet once a term to keep in touch, share information and resources, and learn together. These meetings are hosted by members at different venues in and around Cape Town.
- Members are welcome to organise additional workshops, movie viewings or field trips for the benefit of other EE Friends.
- Members are kept in touch via e-mails and this website, where information on members, meetings, events and resource materials can be found.
- The group is an informal network without a formal constitution, office-bearers or membership fees.
- Since 2008, EE Friends has been coordinated by the City of Cape Town.
The new EE Friends co-ordinator
For the first seven years, the EE Friends group was co-ordinated on a voluntary basis, initially by Alice Ashwell and then by Mary Murphy. In 2008 the City of Cape Town's Environmental Resource Management Department (ERMD) took over the co-ordination of EE Friends. The ERMD's Environmental Education Project Manager, Esmay Swarts, is responsible for co-ordinating the EE Friends and arranging meetings.
The goals of EE Friends:
- To enable networking and communication amongst environmental educators
- To share ideas, information, programmes and resource materials
- To provide opportunities to learn (knowledge and skills) and be informed
- To improve coordination of environmental education activities
- To enable people to participate in decision-making and advocacy
- To enable members to promote / market their initiatives
How to join
Interested individuals are welcome to join EE Friends at no fee. If you would like to know more or become a member of EE Friends, please contact:
Ms Esmay Swarts (EE Friends Co-ordinator)
Tel: +27 (0)21 487 2353
Fax: +27 (0)21 487 2255
[ p Top ]