How do I apply to become a fire fighter?
A vacancy has to be advertised with a reference number. The minimum requirements are:
- candidates must be 18 years or older
- they must have a Grade 12 educational qualification (Mathematics and Physics is advantageous)
- be physically and medically fit (candidates must be prepared to undergo physical evaluation and medical assessment)
- not be claustrophobic or acrophobic
- have a high level of discipline
- have the ability to work in a team and cope with traumatic and stressful situations
- have effective oral and written communication skills
How long do I train to become a fire fighter?
Incumbents will complete the 16 week Fire Fighter 1 course module which consists of a practical and a theoretical component. Training is a combination of 'real life' scenarios simulated in a controlled environment as well as classroom orientated sessions. Throughout the four month course, values such as teamwork, discipline and perseverance are instilled, ensuring all recruits have a solid basis to start a rewarding career in the CTFRS.
Where can I obtain application forms?
Application forms are obtained when fire fighting positions are advertised. Click here to browse our vacancies.