The City of Cape Town's Youth Environmental School (YES) is a year-round environmental education programme of activities for learners and educators. YES is the perfect vehicle through which our city’s youth can gain knowledge and respect for their environment.
Working closely with a host of internal and external partners across the city, the YES team is dedicated to making the programme accessible to all schools, learners and educators in the greater Cape Town area. The YES programme has the full support of the Western Cape Education Department (WCED).
Components of YES include:
“Through Environmental Education we will form partnerships towards conserving, protecting, nurturing and caring for our environment and will invoke in the youth community a sense of environmental pride and responsibility that promotes environmentally sustainable lifestyles, behaviour and actions.”
- To show the City of Cape Town’s commitment to the environmental education of its youth
- To provide a platform for organisations to present their environmental programmes to school learners
- To provide a platform for City line function departments to work together for a better environment
- To expose the potential of the City’s 16 nature reserves
- To expose as many school learners as possible to environmental issues
- To provide a diverse and varied programme of activities representing Cape Town’s environment
- To guarantee a quality programme through a formal evaluation process
- To build sustainable partnerships to secure the future of the YES programme
- To promote Eco-Schools, facilitated by WESSA
- To support the Western Cape Education Department’s new revised curriculum statements
- To support the City’s Integrated Development Plan (IDP), Integrated Metropolitan Environmental Policy (IMEP) vision and Environmental Education and Training (EE & T) Strategy.
Please consider the environment before printing this web page.
Skip to top ^